HELP! Oil Covered Ignition Cable Boot?

My Forester was hesitating so I went to check the spark plugs and cables. I was shocked to see oil covered ignition cables boots. I mean the part that attaches to the tip of the spark plug. There was alot of oil and it was fresh, not burnt. It was not just on one, but all four of them?

I removed all the plugs. One seemed looser than the others and was slightly covered with darker oil sludge (lack of better term).

All the tips of the plugs seem in good condition. Nice and brown in colour. Indicates no oil being burnt. Correct?

This puzzles me since there is not suppose to be any oil in the combustion chamber, so where is the fresh oil coming from?

I do use synthetic and have read that these can shrink rubber seals in the engine. Is this a possibility? And it has been very cold here in Toronto as of late, -20 to -30 celsius.

Exhaust is nice a clean, no oil burning. So I ruled out a cracked engine block. I usually warm the engine up for 5 mins before driving and take it easy for another 5-10 before pushing the engine. Still drives like it's new after I changed the plugs (done today) and did 30 minutes of driving, 20 of which were pushing the engine.

Any idea's? Similiar exerpiences?

Thank You in Advance, daja.

Reply to
daja

The only way oil can get there is if the valve cover gasket leaks. Its really odd that they ALL leaked, though. How old is the car? You might have a problem with the PCV system. If its plugged up, then you are building pressure inside the crankcase and on top of the head.

Reply to
Fred Flintstone

Reply to
Edward Hayes