Help - Outback 2000 Collision

We had a big snow storm here in Toronto yesterday (400+ accidents across the city). I was one of the unlucky few. After just having some regular service on my vehicle at my Sub. dealership, I was rear-ended while stopped on a busy highway (due to another accident ahead). Although trying to stop, the other vehicle hit me at a pretty good clip (20-30kph my guess). My rear bumper suffered some heavy damage and was knocked loose. The rear hatch was hit in one spot and crumpled slightly inward (still seems to open/close ok). Exhaust system was crumpled forward as well. Also noticed side front door on the right side rubbing slightly more than usual against rubber door seal. Later at the repair shop, I noticed that the key interlock would not release my key and an odd sound from my dash area.

The other vehice (2005 Dodge minivan) suffered heavy frontal damage: crumpled hood, crumpled grill.

My questions:

1) My Outback was taken to an auto repair shop with good relations with my insurance company (All State). Should I be considering my Sub. dealer for repairs (they have a body shop)?

2) Are there any other problems should I be on the lookout for after a rear-ender?

3) Any other suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
david

Sorry about your accident. I would ask your body shop to check for engine mounts and transmission mounts being broken also if you have four wheel limited drive on your vehicle to check for trans damage and shaft damage. Without more info on your vehicle it limits what can be said to check for, however if you do take it to the dealers shop they should check everything over for you. there can be hidden damages if it went to a technician that did not check it over carefully, you may wind up with problems down the road ! Be assured that all has been checked ! Contact me if you need my help in fixing any of your problems. Gary H.

Reply to
mhalea

Often a sign that the unibody has been tweaked; a bad thing. Presumably the shop will check chassis measurements, and wheel alignment specs . . .

The "key interlock" that prevents you from removing the key unless the AT is in "park"? Makes me nervous; read on . . .

Mmmmm, a good wack to the tail pipe could damage or dislodge the catalytic converter element. Shake it to be sure it doesn't rattle, and/or perform a visual inspection. I have also seen cars that had taken a good hit in the rear experience problems with the tranny; I'm guessing that the shock was transmitted thru the drive line and transmission output shaft to the front differential, in any event, there were large chunks missing from the ring/pinion gears. One ran like this for nearly 1000 miles before abruptly grinding to a halt. These were both '97-'98ish automatic transmission Legacys, and I'm guessing that they were probably hit considerably harder than what you describe, but it's worth checking. Any unusual noise or binding should be treated very seriously.

You may be dangerously close to having the car "totaled". This might work in your favor if the car ends up with concealed damage, tho. Be sure you convey the above concerns to whoever is doing the work, and to your insurance company. If you have confidence in your Subaru dealership, or can get the car to some who specializes in them, by all means do so; many body shops have little mechanical expertise; fewer still know and love Subarus.

Good Luck!

ByeBye! S.