Help req: Subaru Forester 2008 or 2009

Hi all,

I'm out to buy a new Subaru Forester. I got a really good offer to get the 2008 model from the current stocks. Should I pass and get the 2009 model instead? I liked the extra leg room in the back seat of the 2009 model, but it looks like the 2008 model drives and behaves better on the road.

TIA for any help :)

Ithai.

Reply to
ithai.levi

I'd be amazed if the 2008 model really 'drives and behaves better on the road'.... have you driven them back-to-back?

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Reply to
ithai.levi

I'm struggling with exactly the same dilemma. My comments cover the Canadian basic models, not the Turbo or USA variations.

I hadn't driven a Forester. I liked the 2008 styling (tall-small station wagon, lots of glass). Intuitively, the full time four wheel drive adds cost and complexity, but provides extra control, especially on icy-snowy roads. For the distances I drive, a slight penalty in fuel economy is irrelevant.

I finally looked at and test drove both. If I planned to use that back seat (e.g. if you have a family), I'd rule out the 2008. The access and legroom are significantly better in the 2009.

I prefer the styling and handling of the 2008. Concerns include the small rear doors (banged my knee BADLY trying to get out of the car), no frames for the windows (read a few complaints that the channel bends and the windows don't seal properly). I found the left foot rest (automagic) too high.

The dealer only had 2008 "Anniversary" editions left. Alloy rims corrode and are expensive. I've read about problems with the power moonroof, I'd rather avoid it. Not sure about heated seats. I can see that being a joy for people who drive a lot in cold weather. The cargo cover can be added to the base model for a few hundred.

The 2009 ... well, if I wanted an SUV, it would be a no-brainer. I liked the sportshift automagic transmission, wider rear doors, more rear legroom or longer cargo bed, wider cargo bed (different rear suspension). Framed windows.

Negatives. New model, first year. Based on the 2008 Impreza, so maybe they've worked out the bugs. Taller, wider, longer than the

2008. I'm used to a Mazda 626, so it FELT very tall. More body roll on corners. Bright trim around central dash is distracting (where's my duct tape ?). I'm 5'6". Felt like I needed to sit on a 3" phone book to see (passenger seat). Driver's seat at max. height was only slightly better. More gizmos to break. Dual exhausts, double your pleasure, double your repair costs. Compact spare versus full sized spare in 2008. Seemed noisier on rough pavement. Could be different tires, or the new rear suspension, or the larger "echo chamber." That was on city streets, didn't test either on the highway.

Positives. Sportshift transmission, stability and traction control, telescoping steering column, steel hood (2008 is aluminium), side air curtains. Four wheel disc brakes (2008 has rear drums).Telescoping steering column. I think heated seats are standard. Probably a few advantages I've missed.

Price. Well, the rebate is $4K. The 2008 base is $28K, but they only had the Anniversary edition for $30K. The 2009 base is $27K. All prices with automagic.

The 2009 corrects some issues on the 2008, and includes features which aren't available (sportshift, stability and traction control, side air curtains). Not sure how the value will hold up, since the

2009 is "better" in so many ways. People who want a tall-small wagon which grips the road may prefer the older, classic style. I do.

I didn't test drive either car on the highway (limited time), so I don't know how either handles on ramps, merging, and cruising at

110kph (snicker).

I'd be interested in hearing your final decision, and your reasoning.

Reply to
cd260ca

Agree with earlier comments. I recently drove both the 2008 and 2009 Forester x premium.

Mechanically and structurally the 2009 is a great improvement. However the interior materials in the 2009 are a distinct step down. Plastics cheaper, panel cluttered with cheap looking silver plastic trim and the seats are "thinner" and less supportive. The feel of the seats was budget airline. I asked the salesman who was pretty frank. He said that he also didn't like the interior changes but that they were cost saving measures used to keep the price point the same for the 2009 as the 2008. They did not have a "limited" 2009 for me to drive so I don't know whether the leather interior feels as cheapened. Bottom line is that I passed on the Forester and will go back to looking at the Nissan Rogue and probably wait to see the new 2009 Escape. I am looking for a small 4wd reasonable ground clearance vehicle and don't have a lot of choices. I usually keep cars 10-15 years so the looks and interior quality are important to me. I like the Outback however the currently available colors don't appeal and the ones I could live with come with "black" interior. That doesn't really work in the southwest.

Howard

Reply to
Howard

I bought on 08 2 months ago, 2.5X Sports, 10th anniversary edition. Very competent automobile in short. Several thousand miles in town and on the highway with zero issues. Handling is great, AC handles 100 degree plus Texas weather, wind and rain are a non issue.. Back seat leg room is not an issue for me since 99% of time it's a solo drive.Getting mid 20's in town and about 29-30mpg on the highway. I am not a "spirited" driver, tend to take it easy in the righ lane with the cruise control on. Seats are great, very comfortable drive.

I also drove an 09, it's a different beast, clearly more SUV than wagom to compete with the CRV and RAV4. I would buy one I like the looks of and be happy driving a Fozzie of either vintage.

Reply to
fdxforester