High pitched whine in 2001 H6 OB

I have a 2001 H6 VDC Outback, 75k miles on it. Bought it new off the dealer lot so I know the full history of the car. No accidents, mods, etc.

Over the last 3-4 months, I have been noticing a whine which seems to come from forward of the passenger compartment. Been trying to narrow down the cause of this but the best I have been able to do is determine that it only comes on when the engine is under load/open throttle. If I'm driving on the freeway, it comes and goes as I press/release the accelerator. While on cruise control, it also comes and goes when the car is trying to accelerate uphill, etc. Am certain it does not correlate to engine speed. If I release the accelerator at

70mpg (and note that rpms stay high), the whine goes away immediately.

Took it to the dealer but they have been unable to trace it. They hear the same during the roadtest but when they had it up on the rack and doing 40-50mph, cannot find the noise.

My thoughts are that is has somehow to do with the fuel pump, injectors, throttle and some bad grounding perhaps? Any other thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks!

Reply to
Paul Chan

Diff sounds like a possible starting point. Get them to test drive it while you go along - or ride in while you drive it - then you can point out exactly what you mean.

BTW - I assume you've left your mother in law at home on these occasions .. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

My 2002 H6 LLBean did the same thing you described for the first 20K miles, and then stopped making the noise all together. I do notice a bit of whine coming from my power steering pump, but this is at low rpm.

Reply to
Skweezieweezie

I have on 04 OBW with the H6 3.0. I have the same problem, but have been ignoring it. I have about 25K on the car. It is definitely related to applying the accelerator- almost as if you are hearing the fuel pump or injectors something. If you find out what it is, let me know- I'll do the same.

Reply to
Alan

I recently noticed the exact same symptoms on my 2000 legacy GT. So far no solution and I've also posted on other sites. I'll email if possible to keep the issue alive.

Reply to
brusbrother

I posted elsewhere and one suggestion was the center diff and followed with the suggestion that I just get used to it. I am still covered under a 100K warranty and since it is a recent development I would like the dealer to make it stop!

Reply to
brusbrother

Hey all. Since you haven't actually described the problem in any significant detail, there seems to be a problem with the side-view mirrors in most (if not all) of the Subarus that I've been in, where airflow around the mirrors generates a horrible, heart-stopping whine at speed, or if there's a crosswind with *just the right* speed or characteristics at slower speeds.

I say heart-stopping because that kind of noise, heard for the first time on a Subaru, is heart-stopping.

Try folding your mirrors in and seeing if this fixes the problem. If so, you can rest a little easier, and work on finding a mod for your mirrors that stops it. In the meanwhile I just fold my mirrors in when I need to go fast(er).

The lowest speed mine've whined at is around 140kph in a stiff cross-wind across the highway.

You know, I almost think it's a sneaky way Subaru cars were designed so the dealer knows with good accuracy that the driver is taking the car up to pseudo-legal speeds.

Good luck in any event!

Reply to
k. ote.

I spoke to a friend who is a former master tech for SOA. While he has seen a number of these issues with sound that indeed may be related to center diff., it never proceeds to anything worse. If it is a minimal sound SOA will do nothing. Nonetheless, get in on your service record if you are still in a warranty period. Have any of you changed the diff fluid? That gear oil smells nasty from the start so I'm not sure how to tell when it goes "bad". I wonder if that can really be the culprit since?

Reply to
brusbrother

In my case, the throttle and load changes the angle of the car and can affect the noise significantly. When I'm right at the "sweet" (or sour?) spot, I can tromp on the gas and start it, or let go of the gas and stop it. Airflow is a tricky thing to modulate.

=]

Well, it's easier to check the mirrors first anyway, and far less expensive.

Reply to
k. ote.

I hate to be pedantic, but Australian spec cars have their major service / all fluids changed every 50,000km / 30,000 miles. :)

Reply to
Losiho

Oops ... of course you're right. That's not pedantry on your part though - just carelessness on mine for hitting enter without checking while I was reading up on an 80K service for something else. Silly me. Thanks

Reply to
hippo

Thanks for the heads-up folks. I'll get them to look at the diff fluid next time. It is due for a fluid change anyway. I hope this addresses the problem.

The dealer that I go to in Santa Cruz has actually be really nice over the last 4 years whenever I brought my car in. Let's hope it works this time. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks!

Reply to
Paul Chan

Test drive by SOA of my 2000 Legacy GT today suggests "normal" transmission sound. Tech suggested it could be in the diff or planetary gear of the tranny and was aware of the "condition". My diff and tranny fluid is 3K shy of the 30K change so I will do an early change and see what happens. It only started in the last 3 months and I'm not too thrilled. On a bright note, covered under my extended warranty, I realized that wind noise was associated with the mirror and they now have an updated gusset that totally eliminated the noise on the driver's side! Next visit... the passenger side.

Reply to
brusbrother

Reply to
chanpaul2000

I just got back from Subaru. Transmission, front and rear diff fluids all changed. Whine is still there as ever. I guess that eliminates on thing.

Has anyone been able to determine if this has to do with the fuel pump/injectors? It correlates with application of throttle and I can only think of that right now.

Thanks.

brusbrother wrote:

Reply to
chanpaul2000

It sounds more like a fuel-related noise to me- the pump or injectors as you suggest. Probably the pump.

Reply to
Alan