How do I remove door panels?

Hi All,

I have a 2006 Forester. The back seat, left side door actuator does not respond to the automatic open or close requests, but does open and close manually.

How do I remove the door panels so I can get at the actuator?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

Look for screws, possibly visible from underneath or behind covers, like in the door handle. Remove all screws you find and grasp the door panel from the bottom. GENTLY pull to release the clips. You can get a tool from AutoZone that will help and keep from breaking the clips. If there's any resistance, look for more screws.

They're all similar...

Reply to
Hachiroku

=2E Once you get the panel off, check out the switch. A dealer tried to rip me off by replacing the motor and regulator, but I swapped out the switch and proved him wrong. If you are lazy, you can find a used switch at a junk yard online for a few bucks.

Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

I'd root around here:

You should be able to find details of door for '04 which should be same as '06

Reply to
Frank

Actually, the switches are pretty bad and the contacts gunk up. The contacts should have been sealed, but aren't, so the contacts oxidise.

You can almost always restore them to life. Opening the switch and spray the contacts with contact cleaner (available at electronics supply houses and Radio Shack), put the switch back together, and then use it. The switch will usually clean itself in about 5 to 10 uses.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Avery

Do you know of an English language version of the above link?

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

Okay. I am confused. I thought their was only one part that operated the door latch:

Is there three? motor, regulator, actuator? (Sounds more like the windows controls.)

Maybe the actuator just needs a drop of machine oil?

Or, maybe the wiring is bad.

Have to figure out how to get into it first.

-T

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

No but the manuals are in English. Open up different sections and look for sections that may apply. I downloaded all and will try to email you one I think applies.

Reply to
Frank

Got it. Thank you!

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

Oops... sorry, I misread. Thought you were going after the window switches.

Still..... I'd bet the switch, or switches, are similar and the most likely point of failure. I would not put oil on the contacts, just contact cleaner.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Avery