how to change a fuel filter in an impreza wrx

I just bought a fuel filter and i want to change it in my '02 subaru Impreza WRX. I unclipped the hoses, but is there any tool or method to remove the hoses from the filter? Also, do i have to relieve the pressure first?

Reply to
matt

Yes you should relieve the pressure first. Remove the gas cap, then disconnect the fuel pump relay (green connector behind the passenger side kick panel next to the glovebox). With the relay disconnected, start the engine. It should run briefly and stall. Repeat this a few times, eventually it should just crank and not start again. After about 5 seconds of further cranking the pressure should be out of the system, however it's still possible that there will be some left so have a rag handy when you break the lines open, and keep your face away in case some spurts out. The hoses can be difficult to remove, if they're stuck try pushing them off with a screwdriver and/or using pliers to turn the hose back and forth to break it free. Be careful not to damage the hose. Some penetrating lubricant may help.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks! another successful weekend project.

Reply to
matt