How to get to bulb on rear defrost button?

Hi all,

I have a 99 SUS Ltd and the green light on the rear defrost button is shot (this is the one that comes on when you turn your lights on). Thanks to a tip on this list, I was able to get the button out, but a case type thing with wires running into it comes out with it (button it right on it). The wires don't have enough slack for me to pull it out any further than the back of the case at the front of the dash (if that makes sense)...

My question is - where's the two bulbs?? This case has what I thought were 2 plastic screws on the passenger side (slotted/phillips screw head will fit based on grooving) so I tried turning those but nothing happens.... almost like they're rivets in there and won't come out.

Anyone have any pictures to show me what I'm supposed to do?

Also - anyone know the bulb part number and/or where to get it? I guess I could call my dealer but.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please remove "nospam" in address to reply via e-mail or post to the list.

Thanks and happy new year!

Reply to
ismlv

I've just replaced mine in Cruise Switch in one of my Legacies. Yours may be similar. I got the switch out entirely by pressing in the tab in the slot and disconnecting white part from brown, but that may not be necessary - You turn the buttons on side of my switch about 45 degrees then prise them out with a pin. One of mine was stuck quite hard. You can get new bulbs (in holders if you like) from 1st Subaru Parts on the web. Phone them free and they will sort out what you want. 2 bulbs in holders cost me $5. email me snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com if you still need pictures.

'Also see my other post 'Cruise switch with new bulbs' today - Hello - You guys have been great help to me with my 2 Legacies, so here's an offer you can't refuse -

I replaced my Legacy Cruise switch complete with bulbs, then I found I could replace just the bulbs, so now I have a spare cruise switch in which I have replaced the bulbs with new ones in new holders.

The switch pops out (and in) without dismantling any other parts.

Any offers? (New switch cost $28 + tax and bulbs in holders $5)

Gil snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com '

(this is the one that comes on when you turn your lights on).

type thing with wires running into it comes out with it (button

any further than the back of the case at the front of the dash (if

2 plastic screws on the passenger side (slotted/phillips screw

happens.... almost like they're rivets in there and won't come out.

could call my dealer but.....

Reply to
Gil Cleeton