How to remove glove box in 2010 Forester to get at cabin air filter

I know the cabin air filter is bad in my 2010 Forester. While the car was in for warranty work, the dealer took the glove box out and showed me some of the dirt. But they wanted $119 to replace the filter -hiway robbery in my opinion. All I need to know is how to remove the glove box, the repair g uy doing the work just had a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, and I am rea sonably agile and handy so I ought to be able to do the job myself. Anyone know the secrets????

Reply to
hrhofmann

My '03 and my wife's '08 had diagrams on paper in the glove compartment that came with the Foresters. Mine was more difficult to access than hers but I could do both.

Years ago, I went in the dealers parts department to buy a new filter but they wanted ~$54 for what should not cost more than a few dollars. Think they are available at other suppliers for half that but I just took mine out and brushed and washed them off.

Reply to
Frank

You can get air cabin filters for less than half of what the dealer was going to charge. I buy them from Rock Auto parts online for about $15.00 each. The glove box in my 2014 Forester takes a minute to remove, no tools required. The whole process to remove the glove box and replace the filter takes a few minutes.

Reply to
PAS

Looks like good part source.

Thought I'd google up op's question and found video on how to do it:

My '03 require removal of maybe 10 screws but wife's is maybe 6 and now I see it is made much easier.

Reply to
Frank

hrhofmann:

Really? I charge myself by the hour, no fractions. It would cost me $200 in labor plus parts and tax to replace the cabin air filter. Thus, I would let the dealer do it.

Reply to
Davoud

"Davoud" wrote

;-)

Speaking of which, this fall I'm planning to buy a 2016 Legacy, as driving around here in the Nawtheast has proven itself quite scary for me with "only" front-wheel drive. After five Hondas since 1982, that loyalty may come to an end.

Reply to
Howard Lester

I think you'll find the Subie perfect for your weather conditions. Check out these videos from Planet Subaru (which is where I would have bought my Outback if I lived in the Northeast):

They used to have a slightly different video with an introductory comment that while most dealerships shovel the snow so they can drive their cars out, at PS, they drive the cars out so they can shovel the snow. :-)

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

"Patty Winter" wrote

Thanks, Patty. :-) I'm pretty impressed by how easily the Legacy got out. I did get to test drive a 2.5i on melting ice (it was about 40 that day), and the car stopped quite well. But at that temperature the ice may not have been the slickest it could otherwise be. Still, I figure it has to be a lot safer than my Accord to drive. Too bad I live too fahh from Boston to buy from them. I'd rather buy from a dealah where I would be taking the cahh in fuh service.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming, where someone was asking for advice on how to remove his glovebox without even trying. ;-)

Reply to
Howard Lester

s in for warranty work, the dealer took the glove box out and showed me som e of the dirt. But they wanted $119 to replace the filter -hiway robbery i n my opinion. All I need to know is how to remove the glove box, the repair guy doing the work just had a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, and I am r easonably agile and handy so I ought to be able to do the job myself. Anyo ne know the secrets????

I bought a replacement filter at PEP Boys for about $18.50 plus tax, got th e glove box out and the filter exchanged and the glove box back in less tha n 5 minutes. Beats the hell out of $119 the dealer wanted to do the same t hing.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thread prompted me to do the filter in my '03.

NAPA right near fitness place I go to had one at $38 which I told them was over priced but I bought it any way.

It was a chore for me but overweight, age 75, arthritic, bifocals, and incipient cataracts and AMD, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Forester of mine's vintage might be the toughest to get at filter. Early years did not require glove box removal but filter was different. Late model years are much easier to remove glove box.

Reply to
Frank