How to reset ECU?

I just put an AEM Cold Air Intake in my 02' WRX, every where I read said to reset your ECU when you're done. How do I do that?

Reply to
Patrick F. Clarin

Sam Li

And this is a good thing to do after a modification right?

Reply to
Patrick F. Clarin

Reply to
Sam Li

It can't hurt. It forces the ECU to immediately re-learn the fuel trims, rather than adapting slowly over time.

The general concensus is that CAIs on a WRX are not really worth it, though. They both increase the likelihood of ingesting water from a puddle (minor risk), and lean out the intake mix by throwing off the calibration of the factory MAF sensor (typically a minor issue if that's your only mod). They may make a small amount of power by leaning it out, though.

Reply to
Patrick Fisher

Just disconnect the negative batt cable and press the brake pedal down for ten seconds. If your clock and radio stations are cleared, you're done.

Reply to
CompUser

Always. And when you first start the car after reconnecting the battery/fuse/fusable link, put the key in the "on" position for a few seconds without touching the gas. Then start and let the ECU re-learn the settings with the new mod. You can spend that time resetting your clock and radio presets.

Reply to
John

That is true, one of the tuners on

has a procedure that they use for resetting the ECU to get maximum power. Do a search there and you should find it.

Only 3 manufacturers (APS, Perrin & TurboXS) actually make a CAI that they guarantee won't interfere w/ the MAF. The only one of the 3 that I've found to be exceptionally made is the APS unit. Perrin is probably my second fave of them w/ TXS coming in 3rd, although none of them are "bad" CAI's.

Reply to
WRXtreme

TXS's isn't a CAI, though - it's a short-ram intake (just a pipe, same diameter as factory, and a K&N cone filter). I have one, and love the sound. No complaints with quality. Have heard good things about APS and Perrin as well, though.

Reply to
Patrick Fisher