Humming noise

I live in Ontario, Canada, I own a 2001 Subaru Forester with 092580 kilometres on it. When travelling at speeds starting at 80 km and higher I hear a humming noise.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Could it be the bearings? Is it covered under the Power Train Warranty?

Thanks, Mike.

Reply to
Michel & Lorraine Chevalier

I had the same problem.

Ski rack mounting rails on the roof were at not proper place. I've moved them slightly forward (or backward do not remember exactly) .

After replacement of side mirror it started whistling on high speeds. Covered whistling holes by scotch :) Gone.

General advice: take a look on external parts. They are making turbulence on high speed.

Andrew.

Andrew Fedoniouk

Check the kids in the back seat.

Reply to
PeterV

message

Reply to
Strap-on Sally

And try putting the antenna down.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yes, I have. Since we bought our Forester 2001. It occurs only on acceleration and is audible at 60mph+. (And it's NOT coming from outside the car.) Found one or two others who had the same but neither had found a solution. Took it twice to the dealer in Tysons' Corner, VA (among others) who found the problem but said "normal transaxel? noise...but some are louder than others... and only solution is to take it apart" which he said wasn't worth doing. Conclusion: my bad luck to have gotten a 'noisy' one. It's been two years now and as soon as I can I'll trade the thing in. The whining noise is more than annoying, and I'm surprised that Subaru doesn't make good on it. If you are able to remedy yours I would be eternally grateful for the solution.

Reply to
joe

I have a '94 Legacy which is suffering from a humming noise from what sound like the rear tires. I was told by a mechanic today it was the rear differential, but a friend of mine is not convinced. He thinks it's a bearing.

Does anyone know what a rear dif sounds like when it's starting to crap out? The noise gets louder the faster the car goes.

Cheers! Scott

*take out the oogabooga to reply directly*
Reply to
Scott