I could use a CO detector recommendation

Any recommendations for CO detector to be mounted in my older car? Preferably something reliable powered off the cigarette lighter socket or 110v. I found something new for myself to worry about: exhaust leaks sneaking past the firewall or thru the heater core into the cabin! Thanks.

Reply to
Body Roll

maybe it's a cost-benefit thing, but why not fix the exhaust leaks...I mean what are you going to do if you're driving and the CO detector goes off?

Reply to
lkreh

I don't know if I have any leaks. Probably I don't. But I'm too paranoid. That's all.

Reply to
Body Roll

There are 120AC versions available at Home Depot. Not terribly expensive IIRC. Bought 1 for the wife to use in her hot glass studio - never budged from zero - yet.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You're joking, right?

Reply to
Phil

Not this time. No. I'm not a Prius owner and have no desire to ride in a gas chamber. Early detection is the key. I think 85% of accidents involving a drowsy driver are fatal. The accidents involving a gassed driver must be similar or worse. But, as I said, I'm just paranoid. Sooo, going to Home Depot soon. Thank you Carl.

Reply to
Body Roll

Based on his remarks about WRXs, it would seem so...but if he's for real , he should spend the $$ on maintaining his exhaust system.

Reply to
CompUser

Here you go:

Just do a search, they are installed on every RV I have seen in the last few years. They operate on 12 volts.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Sorry about that, you were looking for carbon monoxide detector, here is a link for a 12 volt version:

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Hmm, Is there a 30k or 45k exhaust system maintenance that I missed? I'll check the manual to see if any parts need to be replaced at 60k. Am I due for a coffee can muffler?

Thanks a lot! I'll check the manual!

Reply to
Body Roll

Same thing here. It might be though that everything under 30 ppm shows up as 0. I was stupid enough to get the one with the battery backup. First Alert Ultimate. It's ultimately annoying because it chirps in a very unpleasant manner when the battery is disconnected (I figured it won't be long before it dies given that it's not rechargeable, the detector does not have any recharging circuitry and the A/C invertor does not supply any power to the detector with the ignition off). I guess I'll have to find the one without the backup battery, but with an LCD display showing the current PPMs.

Reply to
Body Roll