I didn't notice them, thought they were just more HyKiToyMitHonWhatever cars....

I don't know exactly what year models these were, but probably nothing earlier than 2008.

Yesterday Parked next to something moderately small and supposedly "sporty". When I came back out of the drugstore, I looked it a little more from the front. It had a muted hoodscoop, but nothing that stood out as "unique". As my eyes dropped down towards the grill, ... MYGAWD... There's a "Pleiades's star cluster" emblem on it! WTF? So I walk around it, and it's a WRX? ????

Today Driving in the wurkvan, a so-called (now) fullsize sedan's running in the lane to my left. Rather ho-hum as well... Traffic slows, and I get behind it about a half-carlength, enough to see logos and badges. Another MYGAWD, it's a Legacy.

Subie's styling engineers are losing contact with "the mystique" of Subaru styling. Soobs have ALWAYS been "quirky looking" without being ugly for their time (or even after they become "senior vehicles" years later). Even the old 360 wasn't bad.

What can I say? They look downright bland and indistinguishable from most everything else now.

Soobies used to be among the marques that stood out from the rest, like Studebaker, Citroen, American Motors and such.

They are probably going to lose me on any new purchase, just on the "styling". I'll probably just drive my oughty-ought Outback until I die. (but that will give me the cash to buy that new Triumph 900 Thruxton that keeps calling my name....)

Reply to
nobody >

Yea, I'm a long time Soobie fan, but I'd have to agree with you. They have never been beautiful cars, and some models have been down right ugly, but they have at least been distinctive. First thought when I saw the '08 Impreza wagon was that it was a Honda . . . And things haven't improved; the new Forries look like . . . a Jeep or something, but not much like a Forester :-P Makes me sad, ByeBye! S.

I'd also have to agree. My opiniions on the legacy have always flip flopped. When the first generation came out I thought it looked nice. When the second came out I thought it looked really nice, and the first looked dated. I still hold that opinion. The third looks ugly to me because of those headlights. The fourth I think is beautiful. The fifth Fugly.

The tribeca was distinct for the first few years, then they made it look more normal. The forester was ugly, but had a great compromise that allowed it to be small, but hold lots of stuff. The new one might be prettier, but it's huge. Much bigger in every way. I thought it was a new ford Escape when I first saw one.

I think the WRX peaked in prettiness in 06/07. The hatchback I think still looks like a subie, but the sedan has some screwed up styling in the rear taillight section that says suzuki or old kia to me.

I will say that I was passed by a new STi this morning and thought it looked quite nice. I didn't like the front fender bluge/air scoops on the first car I saw, which was a dark color, but on a white version, it works.

I always wonder how much subie direction is decreed by subaru and how much by GM.

Reply to
weelliott

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I liked Subarus in SPITE of their looks, and. like the old Volkswagen Beetle, you did feel like you were in a unique class of drivers. I was put into a 2010 Outback loaner the last time my '04 Outback went in for service (yes, head gaskets). I said, "I don't like this. It's too big and too much like an "SUV", instead of a wagon.

6 months later I was in the market for a new car, and guess what? The 2010 Outback rose to the top of the list, once again, in SPITE of its looks. However, while trying to find the right model, I found that new Outbacks are selling like hotcakes with the new style. Therefore, Subaru probably considers the change a rousing success. It's all about sales...not the looks.

2 things will happen. Older Subies will become more valuable: 1st, because more buyers will take them seriously. 2nd, because those who like the old styles will pay more for them. This already happened to me. It was overall cheaper to buy a new Outback than a 2009 or 2008. But then this is Colorado.

Bill Radio

Reply to
Bill Radio

I think the GM share wen tto Toyota a few years ago.

I love my 06 WRX Sportwagon, but I could probably learn to love the hatchback - but I don't plan to trade anytime soon.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

They certainly lost me. When I was shopping few weeks ago, I figured that if I were to bu a totally bland car, I might as well go and buy more car for less money. Ended up with new Hyundai Sonata GLS for 16.5K.

I love quirkiness of the original Forester. When a time to replace my wife's Forester comes, we'll probably not get Forester again - the current one has little of the practical little car we bought in 2002.

DK

Reply to
DK

I like some of the engineering changes done, others, well time will tell. Not a big fan of the newer body styles, they all look too much alike IMO. That being said: In our shop a dark gray 2010 Outback came in, the owner put black rims on it with some LT tires on it. All of us could not believe how good it looked. Such a little change created great look.

Reply to
StephenH