I find it hard to believe these are not covered under warranty!!!

I just brought my 2001 Subaru Forester back from the dealer where they had performed a 90,000 mile checkup and found some other problems I agreed to fix. These include a fan belt kit replacement for $86.90, a left rear strut replacement for $375.94 and a A/F sensor replacement (part # 22791AA00A) for $201.54. The prices include parts and labor.

I asked if they were covered under my extended warranty but seems that because I have the classic and not the gold plus, they're not covered.

Can anyone verify? I understand that the classic warranty covers front suspension and not rear suspension so of course the strut is out but the sensor or the fan belt??

Thanks.

Reply to
ari

It looks like you just learned why extended warranties suck.

If you had put the money in the bank instead of paying it to Subaru, you could have covered it.

The fan belts are due to be changed. As for the strut and the A/F sensor, I'd want to know why they think they are bad.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

$86 sounds high for an accessory belt. It's an easy diy job and I would guess the belt to be ~$15-20.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith

The A/F sensor should be covered by the original emissions warranty. Check your book.

John

Reply to
Fred Flintstone

That's why I never recommend extended warranties. When it comes time for them to spend money, there is always some reason whatever it is isn't covered.

Reply to
Kevin Brewer

But a new tranny or a/c components make it worth while

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

Extended warranties are a form of insurance. Whether to buy one -- and how much to buy -- depends on how much risk an individual is willing to assume. Your statement above could, for 90% of us, be applied just as well to homeowner's insurance. Personally, I've never filed a homeowner's insurance claim, despite having paid quite literally thousands of dollars in premiums. But you'll never hear me complain about that money having been wasted. But when I buy that new $150 VCR, I won't even consider getting the "service contract." Why? Because I can live with the risk of losing a $150 VCR where I can't live with the risk of losing my house. The risk of getting stuck with a big repair bill on your car would fall somewhere between these two extremes. For me, extended automobile warranties fall right *at* my level of risk tolerance. I bought extended warranties with both of my newer vehicles (the Olds and my wife's van). But I will probably forego the extended warranty on my new Subaru, in large part due to Subaru's well-known reliability.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Greg Reed

It's not quite as simple as risk management. I can bank every penny I save in homeowners or health insurance and one big incident can take it all

*plus* a lot more.

On the other hand, vehicle extended warranties are both expensive and have lots of exclusions. If you average it over 2-3 vehicles, you can

*almost* guarantee you'll come out ahead by "self-insuring" instead of paying the money to Subaru or whoever.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

So you're saying that the cost of the insurance should be a factor. I won't disagree. But I will add that I'd probably *get* the service contract with the VCR if it cost me a penny. And you should know that GM employee purchase pricing (for which I qualify) applies to the cost of extended warranty coverage as well as to the vehicle purchase price. Which is another (much smaller) reason I'll probably skip it on the Subaru.

- Greg

Reply to
Greg Reed