I have a crappy communte, what is this doing to my car?

Hi everyone,

I drive the majority of my way to work on a really crappy road. It is uneven, full of potholes, and under construction so the road is uneven.

I know this can't be good for my car, but I don't know what to have the mechanic look at because I don't know anything about cars. I haven't had any problems, I just am getting new tires in a couple of weeks and thought I would have everything checked out while it is there. My best guess is alinement or maybe struts? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Reply to
Rebecca B.

Thanks Todd,

That sets my mind at ease. I'm kind of a worrywart, this (2000 Legacy) is the first car I have ever owned and I've only been a car owner for like 9 months.

Reply to
Rebecca B.

You've hit the list of the usual suspects. As part of 30k and/or 60k service I believe is a "tighten every bolt you can get your hands on" punch item they're supposed to do, but hard to verify if they actually do it.

If your car isn't pulling one way or the other though, no sense doing an alignment. They'd have to put it on the rack and if it doesn't need one, who knows what they'd charge you for checking. If it's free, hell why not. But I ssupect it wouldn't be or they'd find just enough wrong to sell you an alignment. I think the dealer price for a

4 wheel align is like $170.

If it's not broken, no need to fix it I guess. Just keep up on the maintenance schedule. And keep in mind that dealer recommended maintenance schedules exceed the service the factory recommends. It's profitable that way. :-)

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I think Todd has the answer. Just keep up with the maintenance as per your "Owners manual" and avoid dealer extras The best way to save your car, in addition to the above is to try to avoid severe pot-holes & bumps whenever possible by keeping speeds as low as reasonable. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Look at the maintenance schedule in the owners manual packet. The maint schedule is a separate little booklet. At that age you'll want to make sure the timing belt has been replaced, for instance. And that they did the coolant conditioner recall etc.

Reply to
Todd H.

I don't actually have a maintence schedule, it wasn't with the rest of the stuff they gave me when I bought my car. I've just been using the one on the Subraru website, is that just as good or should I whine at the dealer I bought it from to get me a replacement one?

Reply to
Rebecca B.

The website's probably fine on maintenance schedules but the website will never tell you about fuse locations or the infamous mystery-switch.

You could try that and see what happens, but not many dealers stock older owner's manuals.

One source:

(about mid-page)They show the whole "Owners Information Kit" but not just the manual for a 2000 Legacy. Oh,and... "Subject to Stock on hand".

Reply to
nobody >