Idiot ("Check Engine") light won't go away ...

There's a couple (that I know of, anyway) of different ways CEL codes are stored; "historic" (problem no longer occurring)are stored differently from currently occurring malfunctions. The Subaru dealership "Select Monitor" presumably will pull all types, I don't know about generic OBDII readers. Anyway, make your first stop at Autozone, if you're US, and get the codes hopefully read for free. Some are pretty self explanatory, some not; you can always come back here and post for help.

Reply to
CompUser

You did'nt ask what this «funny code» was about? I think CEL should not be taken lightly for at least two reasons:

1) The malfunction it has detected could very well leave you stranded in the near or more distant future. Happened to me with a check engine light about the coolant temp sensor that took three months to evolve into a driveability problem. At that time I was not aware of the significance of a CEL. I had been without a car for 15 years and the last car I had did not have an inboard computer. 2) Foremost, if you drive with the CEL on, you cannot be aware that the ECM is maybe sending another CEL for something more important and with more serious consequences.
Reply to
Gilles Gour

I do not have an Autozone here locally and the Subaru dealer is 35 miles away. Therefore, considerable effort is needed to accurately diagnose the check engine light problem. I will not go back to the local mechanic since this problem is not his expertise. I am really not concerned since the car is running fine and the Subaru dealer told me not to worry. The last time the check engine light problem occurred, the car ran roughly and I needed a new catalytic converter. Thankfully, the car was under warranty for this repair. I also had check engine light problems when the car was new. Usually the light went off by itself. Sometimes, I had the dealer reset the computer to turn off the light. Nothing was wrong with the car at this point in time.

Reply to
ACW

Good news...the gas cap WAS loose.

-John O