Idle PROBLEM PLS HELP!!

I have a 1992 subaru svx that when u turn it on the idle jumps around between 1000-1700 randomly, and the check engine light comes on. I have not taken it to a shop yet I was hoping to possibly get someone who has had similar problems tell me what they did to fix the situation. I was told it could be a couple of different things such as the MAF, or the Idle tennsioners. anyways thanks for the help!

Reply to
RobbJenn22

It does seem like a MAF problem - they can even cause stalling. And, IIRC, it's $$$ to replace. A tech should have a test for it to be sure though. I think you have some diagnostic connectors under the dash to get a blink code. Wonder what codes they would show?

I think will have a listing for Subaru. Probably someone else here can tell you.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
RobbJenn22

I was also told it could be the idle control valve...? I am gonna have it looked at on tuesday but suggestions are more than welcome!!! :) MERRRRRRRRYYYY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Reply to
RobbJenn22

I too have a 1992 SVX and my MAF went out a couple of years ago with similar symptoms. Mine wouldn't idle worth a darn and the exhaust smell indicated the mixture was way too rich, however at higher rpm the car ran reasonably well. There were no error codes indicated, but after spending lots of Subaru mechanic's diagnostic time, they guessed it was the MAF and when it was replaced all symptoms vanished and the car runs great again. There's a good news/ bad news story here. The good news is that the MAF is very accessible and easy to change, no more than a ten minute job. The bad news is that Subaru charges ~$350 for the sensor. I hope for your sake it's the idle control valve. Good luck

Reply to
dhf

Ya i saw the MAF prices and holy crap... anyone know where i can get a cheaper one?

Reply to
RobbJenn22

ok so i just got my diagonstic and it is supposedly my ECU... so i will try replacing that... but at $350... i really hope thats what it is!!!!

Reply to
RobbJenn22

The salvage yard. Sparky

Reply to