Impreza Roof Rack

Hi folks, does anyone know hot to remove the plastic strips on the roof of an Impreza? I am trying to fit a roof rack and was told that there are some anchors below these strips. I dont want to damage anything by just yanking them off.... Is there a knack to gettig these strips off???

Regards Jim

Reply to
Xqueeg730X

Don't really know but the anchors may be friction fitted fasteners that go through the sheet metal. At least that is what I used to mount a rear window deflecter on my '98 Forester. I had to drill the exactally specified hole and put these things in. I was concerned that the bond would not be good or that they might corrode and leak but had no problems. Maybe best to see dealer. My '03 Forester ('98 wiped out by errant PT Cruiser - one ugly car) has not strips as do none of recent vintage. Don't know year they stopped using or if there was a leak problem. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Assuming that you have a recent model Impreza, I think it is like my 2003 WRX. Remove the end from the cross bar (key lock if I remember correctly). Once that is out, you can get at the plastic strip and lift it out. The cross bar has a slot than runs the full length of the top of the bar.

Yakima and Thule both make accessories that fit right into it.

Reply to
Big Willie Style

Thanks folks..... your replies are appreciated..... What I wanted to know though was how to remove the actual plastis strips on the roof of the car itself.... I have an 01 Impreza, with rails along both sides of the roof. The roof rack fits onto acnhor mounts, which I believe are under the roof strips on the car. I think they just pull off, but I dont want to be heavy handed and just yank at them.

best regards, Jim

Reply to
Xqueeg730X

Sedan/coupe, right? If it's like my 2002, there are small posts embedded under the drip rail, and small clips embedded in the roof trim that slide over and lock onto the posts. Gently pull up the roof trim at the very front, where it's secured with a pin that snaps straight down into the body, then run a small screwdriver wrapped in tape or cloth down between the trim and the body along the inside edge. You'll feel the screwdriver catch on the clips about every 8-10 inches. I think there are 5 clips on each side.

Note that the clips slide on the same way on each side, so you'll run the screwdriver from front to back on the driver's side, and back to front on the passenger side. When you replace the trim, use the screwdriver to push the clips back onto the post from the back of the car toward the front so you can keep a little tension, then press the clip in the very front down into the roof to finish.

Reply to
Steve Lee

Thanks Steve..... That was exactly what I wanted to know!!! and it worked a treat! Now I can get the roof bars on the car and get onto the water in my canoe! I owe you one! Regards jim

Reply to
Xqueeg730X