Impreza shudders when turning

Hi all,

A quite annoying problem that has been plaguing my baby baby for a few months now - when I make a u-turn or a sharp turn that involves a lot of wheel cranking, the car shudders. I feel like the shuddering is coming from the front, but it is hard to tell. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

~L

Reply to
user

Bad CV joints or Diff

Ross

Reply to
Ross

Tire pressure. Get a dial and needle type, the stick ones are crap and not sensitive enough to tell you if it's right.

My Outback did the same thing until I worked regular tire pressure checks into my habit.

Just a few pounds off on one front can cause that.

(Also check the joints and stuff as the other posted suggested.)

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

I regularly check the pressure with a digital gauge which is accurate to 0.5 psi (at least says so on the box), keepin it at 36 (low-profile sumitomos). Looks like it's more serious... Shoot.

Reply to
user

Thanks, I'll check em out.

Reply to
user

If its auto-tranny, put the FWD fuse in and try some sharp turns, if its much better - diagnostic for center diff problem, if you're lucky, bad wire or something with the 'duty solenoid C' - otherwise bad clutchpack/tranny.

Carl

user wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Could you tell me where the fuse if located? Thanks.

Reply to
user

On my wife's outback there's a slot for it in the fuse box under the hood. The slot is empty for 'normal' AWD operation but there is a 'spare' fuse there (15A IIRC?) that is inserted for FWD operation - such as temporarily using the 'donut' spare.

Someone here will know about Impreza I'm sure.

Carl

user wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Most have the fuse holder under the hood, just in front of the windshield on the passenger side. The manual has the procedure (look under Towing). If the clutch pack is bad, it's moderately expensive, but can be done without removing the whole tranny, only the rear part needs to be removed, but in some cases the clutch pack housing gets worn and needs to be replaced as well. Could also be the AWD computer used on auto trannys. I had a Legacy that was binding in corners, and it was the rear drive computer that was defective, found a used one and the problem was gone (new one was $700 Cdn).

Ed B.

Reply to
ed