Impreza underseat subwoofer (mysteries of)

Hello - I've just replaced the factory (Clarion it turns out) cd player in my 2002 Impreza Outback Sport with the Alpine CDA-9813. I'm now tweaking the sound which has made me quite curious about the operation of the Impreza factory underseat subwoofer. Could someone verify or refute the following:

1) The subwoofer draws its power from the same lead that goes to the head unit, and gets its signal from the rear speaker wires (both, or one?).

2) One of the dials on the unit is for gain, and the other sets a "crossover" frequency - which operates solely for the subwoofer. The crossover dial does not, therefore, cut any bass from the main speakers, it just sets the highest frequency that the sub will reproduce (is it strange that this is a dial instead of there being fixed frquency settings?).

3) Because the subwoofer is just taking the signal from the rear speaker wires, and amplifying it with its internal (120 watt?) amp, it does not audibly rob the rear speakers of the power being sent to them from the head unit.

Thanks all! I cannot seem to find definitive answers anywhere.

cheers - kip

Reply to
Kip

It should look at both Right and left, but a lot of subwoofers will just feed off one channel, it does nt make a lot of difference.

Nah, just a choice of the manufacture, some use Fixed Switches , and better ones, like yours has a variable pot.

No the signal it takes from yoru Rear speakers is very very small.. and it wont make any difference to the sound they give but if your Apline has a Sub woofer output, use it. You would have to disconnect the lead that goes to your rear speaker and just connect it to the Sub woofer output, normally a RCA Plug. You will end up with a better bass and it wont be effected by your fader b/t front and back.

Cheers, Allan

Reply to
Allan