Impreza Wagon Trailer Wiring

I would like to install a hitch on my 2007 Impreza Sport Wagon (2.5i). The wiring instructions say to remove 2 floor panels in the rear cargo area and the plastic panel in the area of the rear latch. The diagram shows the 6-pin trailer harness connector in the vicinity of the vehicle body harness but I don't see it exposed with those panels removed. I suspect it's behind the side panel up by the taillight. That panel looks like it's more difficult to remove. I see 2 plastic push fasteners right at the hatch I could pop off. There's a connection point for the "Top Tether" that looks like it's securing that panel somehow and there's got to be more fasteners on the side & front of that panel.

It could be that panel doesn't need to be completely removed to get to the harness connector.

If anybody has any experience locating that trailer harness connector or removing that panel I'd appreciate any tips or information.

Regarding the hitch - it appears the OEM (# L1010SS000) hitch requires some minor trimming of the bumper apparently only visible from under the car - after market hitches (Drawtite, Hidden Hitch, Curt etc) don't require trimming. Is this true? I'd rather use the OEM especially if the trimming isn't visible.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
david59

bigjim

Thanks for the info - I'll check it out.

I was leaning toward the OEM hitch because it comes with the the wiring harness that plugs right into my car - aftermarket wiring appears to be more involved which I don't feel like getting into.

Reply to
david59

Reply to
elau180

i think subaru oem hitch is $200 and that includes the harness. drawtite runs about $135 i think. is aftermarket harness significantly less than the $65 split?

Reply to
isquat

hitch is $115 with drawbar- draw tite is $100 w/o drawbar Wiring harness runs from $20-40

Reply to
bigjim

I contacted the people at DrawTite a few weeks ago. They told me you need to buy a Modulite Kit to protect the vehicles circuitry for the Impreza. The diagram I saw showed the power being drawn directly from the fusebox. All the after market harness's that I've checked into work this way. The wiring looked more complicated than I want to get into.

If I want to plug right into vehicle existing trailer harness you have to use the OEM - it's the only one (that I've found) that comes with that 6-pin connector.

I've seen the OEM hitch & harness for around $160 - the Hidden Hitch is around $115 + around $50 for the Modulite Kit.

To be honest the money isn't that much of an issue anyway - it's a one time expense.

I still might go ahead and get the DrawTite or Hidden Hitch (that's why I asked about trimming the bumper) - but I'm going with the Subaru wiring to get that connector. The problem with that route - the cheapest I've found the Subaru wiring is around $70 - Hidden Hitch at $115 + $70 is more than the $160 for the OEM hitch & harness.

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
david59

I went the same way, oem hitch & adapter. Everything fit with no wiring headaches. I looked around before on here for the correct adapter and for the matching plug. It just does not justify any savings for the time & effort to find the aftermarket adapter and to do the excess wiring when I just popped a plug out and plugged it in.

Maybe the experts here have the correct part numbers to share with the rest of us so we all know where the $20 wiring harness is.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Blair-

Do you remember if you had to remove the rear side panel to get to the harness? Was it difficult to remove? Sounds like you didn't have any problems - Thanks Dave

Reply to
david59

Mine is a 2005 Forester XS, and the plug was under my right rear floor panel.

Forester instruction here:

Here is the Impreza instruction:
This is the document page:
The Impreza instructions mention the wiring adapter but I don't see the instruction online.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

here: