Improvements year-to-year of the WRX

is there any big improvements each year with the WRX? I'm looking at getting a used one and I don't want to miss out. It looks like they are basically the same. Same power, couple body modifications. I actually like the bug eye headlights on the older ones. Is there anything else different with them?

Reply to
Matt Warnock

Like most cars, they get worse. Basically, they get softer and lose their purity. Probably the best standard WRX is the facelift edition of the first series - a few extra bhp and proper seats - although that did start the trend towards more agressive styling which attracts unwanted attention. I prefer the discretion of my original model, despite the utilitarian interior.....and you can get everything else from Prodrive if you want it. Probably a series one, pre-facelift five-door with discrete Prodrive engine, suspension, wheel, brake and body options and a Recaro interior would be my ultimate Rex.

The big step backwards was the bug-eye, which was dumbed down significantly for a bigger market and lost a lot of the edge of the original. Basically, with this and the later model you have to go with the Sti to get back to what it ought to feel like. Biggest drawback of that is it looks far too 'boy racer'.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

The clutch in 2002 WRX is weaker and sometimes would shudder.. Suburu would replace the clutch for free. They put in a beefier clutch, the same one used in the STi. My WRX's clutch used to shudder and sometimes burn. After they performed the clutch replacement, no more clutch problem.

Another major improvement is they have a new submodel STi out in 2003. It is

2500cc versus the plain WRX's 2000cc. Cost a lot more and does not have wagon configuration.
Reply to
peter

The clutch on earlier models shouldn't be a problem unless it has been abused.

The hike to 2.5 is not an improvement, it's a dumbing down. The rest of the world gets the same poke and more edge from a 2.0. The extra half-litre in the US is simply to get back some of the power lost in meeting emissions regs.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

Again, the poster is in the US. We have bug-eyed WRXs and new age WRXs and STis ('04 on) - that's it. Lamenting what the rest of the world used to get is not productive to the original poster.

Here in the US, your choice is an anemic 227bhp WRX or a 300bhp STi - the extra half-liter (along with all the other improvements) gives quite a bit extra "poke and edge" on our side of the pond :)

Reply to
Patrick Fisher

AUSTRALIA

David Betts wrote:

Not so...... I have had 3 manual transmission Subarus... 1.8L NA, 2.0L NA (current vehicle) and 2.0 Turbo RS Liberty (Legacy)

In EVERY car, I have suffered clutch shudder on various, sometimes often, occasions. And I certainly DON'T abuse my clutches. This happens with every driver who has ever driven any of my vehicles, as well as for myself. Being my own car, I feel I would be more adept at the idiosynchrasies of my own vehicle and would be smoother than other drivers who are not used to it.... but not always so. When it shudders, it shudders, regardless of WHO is driving it.

My latest vehicle with the 2.0L NA motor also has low-range gearbox, so when I experience clutch shudder - usually when motor/clutch is cold - I just use low-range for a few kilometres, to minimise the shudder, due to less load on the clutch.

I am an experienced rally & motorsport driver, so I do not consider myself to be rough or abusive to clutches, despite what some readers may assume happens during competition. The clutch is an important part of the mechanics of any form of race-car. Yes, it can be driven without the clutch, but certainly not as easily or safely or as fast - unless you have a Prodrive Group A model. I just can't seem to find that spare $ half-Mil hidden inside my pillow to upgrade mine.... !!!

Spinifex

Reply to
Spinifex

Usenet is an international medium. This is an international newsgroup. The original poster may be in the US. Many of those reading the answers will not.

I know. Sad, isn't it.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

I'm not saying they don't judder. I'm saying it's not a problem in that it is not a symptom of premature wear. They only wear out prematurely if abused and certainly don't need changing because of the occasional little bit of judder, which is what the earlier poster seemed to be suggesting. David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

I would say the 300 HP with 300 ft/lbs of torque is a BIG poke! Like the old saying goes, "there is no replacement for displacement." There almost always seems to be an increase in Torque with an increase in engine size. BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

I can't believe not one person mentioned the fact that the newer cars have a

6 speed trans! Not sure of the year but to me that would be a big plus if I liked the rest of the car. I drive a '95 BMW 325 i and even though it has an automatic trans I have been happy with the power it delivers. Every stinkin time I see a commercial for the new cars and especially when I see one for the STI it really amazes me that Subaru can do so much with only 4 cylinders:) No I haven't driven either car cause right now I can't afford one but that doesn't stop me from admiring from a distance! ben 325i (for sale)
Reply to
Ben Dixon

the bugeye's chassis is significantly more rigid.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

AUSTRALIA

David Betts wrote:

Yet another reason I suggested posters include their Location in the subject line, or the beginning, of their posts.

Makes it easier for people to work out whether or not a particular thread applies to themselves.

Spinifex

Reply to
Spinifex

AUSTRALIA

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but the original poster seemed to be saying that DUE to the clutch judder, it was prematurely wearing out (burning). Once replaced with the STi clutch, no more judder, no more burning, no more wearing out, no more problem.

The clutch judder IS a problem..... and IS an indicator/precursor to premature wearing. Subaru's seem to be the only AWD vehicle that suffer this phenomenon. Don't get me wrong.... I LOVE my Subaru's. But I DO find it surprising that having been one of the AWD innovators SOOOOO many years ago, and being certainly the most successful and major AWD vehicle manufacturers of today, they STILL can't put a decent clutch in as standard. My stock standard 1.8L and 2.0L subies, both non-turbo, both shuddered horribly.... as well as my 2.0Turbo RS Liberty. I'm wondering what sort of material Audi uses for their Turbo Quattros? Why can't Subaru use similar clutch lining material, so their clutches are still suitable for the daily driver, but strong?

Sp> I'm not saying they don't judder. I'm saying it's not a problem in

Reply to
Spinifex

I have a 2002 WRX that I'm selling. It's in excellent condition with around

21000 miles on it. It's a dark blue sedan, 5spd. There are some performance mods on it as well. Dastek performance chip, up-pipe, down-pipe, blow off valve, eibach springs, cat-back exhaust and carbon fiber hood. I'm selling it because I'm hurting for cash so I want to unload it asap. I live near pittsburgh so if you or anyone is interested drop me an email @ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net . I have plenty of pics of it.

Reply to
Ryan

True, the 6-Speed never leaves you hunting for the right gear. You will stay in the power band no matter what speed you need to be going. There are other perks like the outstanding handling and suspension. The brakes will just about snap your neck if you really hammer them. There have been a few times I really got on the brakes and have actually come away dizzy for the rapid deceleration. And there is absolutely no brake fade. All in all the WRX is a outstanding value and a heck of a lot of fun for the money. And BTW, you don't want to drive the STi. You will find a way to own one if you do!

BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi