In Depth - 2011 Subaru Forester

Subaru sure took their time in updating their powertrain lineup in the last two decades, a period where most of the manufacturers focused their attention in implementing the newest technologies for squeezing every last bit of energy from every drop of gasoline. Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries recently revealed the 3rd generation of the [...] Post published on Rpmgo.com In Depth -

2011 Subaru Forester Read More:

----------------------------------- Subaru NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs

sjmmail2000-247

"Although the new engine has just about the same figures as the old one, it is indeed an upgrade because the old one had a belt-driven, single-overhead design whereas the new one comes with a more modern chain-driven dual-overhead cam configuration, making it more efficient. Thanks to this upgrade, the car is now one mpg in the city more efficient according to the EPA ratings. In comparison to the old engine, the new one has a larger bore and a longer stroke as the tweaking displacement has grown from 2,457cc to 2,498cc which means that the 2011 Forester is capable of offering an additional four pound- feet of torque at 300 rpm sooner than the old powertrain.

Although the engine has received some minor yet well-deserved updates and improvements, it still is linked to the same old 4-speed automatic gearbox, making this configuration quite similar to what we were used to in the previous generations of the Forester. The new engine is however more smooth and considerably more quiet than the last generation."

This is great news, ...hopefully it will be free from the former engine's head gasket problems. Also, it would be good for the Impreza to get it. Can't wait!

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

I hope so. I went through the head gasket problem last month on my '03 Forester and while it's an 8 year old car, I only had 40K miles on it. Service writer said they had only seen it on a couple of '03's with over

100 k miles. Last year, it was a water pump and that with a belt change and now head gasket has cost me about $2,000.

If it happens again or on my '08 Forester I'll be truly pissed as I thought they solved this problem ~'02.

Reply to
Frank