Independent shop New York City area?

Can anyone recommend an honest/competent independent Subaru mechanic somewhere within a 50 mile radius of New York City? The dealership where I bought my GT wagon no longer sells Subaru (Helmut's in Bridgeport CT).

I have very little confidence in dealerships in general and every business concern in New York City that is even remotely connected to the automotive industry seems to be run by thieves.

TIA for any suggestions.

Dave L.

Reply to
David Lyons

Sorry I can't help you in your search but I am definitely interested in responses. I too have had horrible luck with car service in the NYC area. I just bought a 95 Legacy and want to keep it in top shape...it's gonna neeed a timing belt pretty soon and I'd like to hear about a good mechanic that knows Subarus in the Brewster NY area.

Helmuts...that's where, > Can anyone recommend an honest/competent independent Subaru

Reply to
Rob Aries

I have had terrible luck with mechanics around NYC as well. A family friend of mine opened a small shop in Elisabeth, NJ and, while he doesn't have any Subaru

- specific training, he is an honest and very accommodating man and has done good work for me in the past.

The only thing is, the shop is 30 minutes outside of Manhattan, but there's a direct train from Penn Station and you can arrange to be picked up at the station.

Email me for details if you're interested.

florian

Reply to
FFF

Try Prestige Subaru

Prestige Imports Subaru

47 Pleasantville Rd Pleasantville, NY 10570 914-769-5100

I had used them several years ago when living in the Orange County. The service was very good and the service manager Wayne was a pleasure to work with.

Gary

David Ly> Can anyone recommend an honest/competent independent Subaru

Reply to
Gary Gladstone

LLL Auto repair in the Park Slope section in Brooklyn, NY. They're on President Street between 3rd Avenue and 4th Avenue (closer to 3rd, but enter through 4th Ave). All Asian fellows. Honest and hardworking. Emboy and Sam are the bosses.

Reply to
RAJP53

One more: Manfredi Motors/Staten Island Motors in Staten Island on Hylan Blvd. They sell Subarus. The Manfredi's partner have a Subaru dealership and shop on Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn. Dependable

Reply to
RAJP53

Manfredi could not find the cabin air filter in my 2002 LL Bean Outback, despite the fact that the model was already 2 years old. They insisted that cabin air filters were not even available until model year 2003. I had to argue a lot, and then persuade them to let me get inside the glove box with the mechanic and show him where the filter was, so it could be changed. Much apologizing then ensued.

BTW, Manfredi Toyota/Subaru service center is no longer located on Hylan Blvd. They are now in a huge state-of-the-art facility at 111 Quintard Street, two blocks in from Hylan. Showrooms are still on Hylan Blvd.

However, Beltway Subaru on Cropsey in Brooklyn had no trouble locating and replacing the cabin air filter a full year prior. Their waiting room is very small and freezing in the winter, however.

Reply to
Debra Co