installing a used bumper on Impreza Outback?

I had a minor accident (my fault) where the front bumper of my Impreza Outback got partially ripped from the car (I was going slowly in traffic and moved into a faster moving lane, cutting a guy off). I have replaced the lights w/o much trouble, but the bumper looks emrabassing. I am planning to drive the car into the ground, so, my embarassment is not worth $1,5K or whatever a body shop will charge to intall a new bumper. How realistic do you think is instaling a used bumper in a do-it-yourself manner? I see many Impreza Outbacks in my area, so, perhaps, junk yards have them? When I was instlaling the light assembly I noticed that the bumper is attached to the body just by several lame plastic clips - looked simple.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

Fist thing, disable the airbags!

Then, yeah - if its the bumper cover - probably an OK diy job. Um - how badly torn/deformed is the bumper? Some folks use a hair dryoer

- or the somewhat hotter, hot air paint remover-type blowers and can work dents and maybe creases out.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The holes in the bumper (I guess I should say - bumper cover? the beige plastic thing) by which the plastic clips attach the bumper to the frame got ripped when the bumper got pulled off the car on one side (like, the bumper was going 40 mph while I was going 25 mph for a fraction of a second). So there is a ~1 inch gap between the bumper and the frame on the side where the bumper got ripped. The other side of the bumper is still attached. Otherwise... yeah it's scratched, and if it had been just the scratches I wouldn't have given a damn about it.

Hm, I guess I should find out how to disable the airbags. Do they automatically infalte when the bumper gets removed? I did try to yank the bumper back to its place (no success) and did not trigger the airbags.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

Its a precaution. If one goes off and no one is in the car - its - like

- $800 to replace. If some one IS in the car......

Should be a fuse somewhere that will disable them - maybe someone here knows or possibly in the manual.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks!!

Are there do it yourself books for Subarus? I remember having one for my old Sentra - it was very helpful. But I remember having trouble finding diy books for subarus.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

My advice is to just replace the entire bumper assembly with another used one.

Reply to
johninKY

Chilton and haynes - though they lag current models in releasing new books -for your bumper issue, they may not be very helpful anyway. I'd offer more detail, but others here have more experience with the work than I do. I just wanted to caution you about the airbags. You might enjoy searching and posting over at

or at
too.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thank you, Carl. At this point the biggest issue is finidng that used bumper assembly. As was pointed ou elewhere in thes group, e-stores don't ship bumpers UPS.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

Well,

and
both have large readerships and maybe a WTB (want to buy) ad placed in the marketplace/whatever forums would find someone near you with a parts car or someo e familiar with the junkyards enough to point you to the right place. Most junkyards (ahem; auto recyclers) have a searchable parts database. have you tried one?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan