Intermittant check engine light

I have a bizzare problem with my 2000 Legacy Outback Wagon. The check engine light comes on sometimes for days, then goes out, sometimes for days, then comes back on, etc. I had the codes checked and the indication was "defective heater element, front 02 sensor. I replaced it...same ol' shit. Same code. Sometimes CEL is on, sometimes it's off. Clear the codes, same one comes back.

Ideas?

Reply to
Cletus S. Yokel

Sounds like a connection/wiring problem in the front O2 sensor CIRCUIT. Somewhere between the ECM and the sensor.....

Reply to
someone

Reply to
Edward Hayes

could be the exhaust gaskets. TG

Reply to
TG

Get an ohmmeter and check the remaining O2 sensor heaters, one of them is open.

Reply to
Bud

I still don't get why this would be intermitant. Also, the car runs perfectly whether the CEL is on or not.

I was thinking along the lines that it may be a loose connection, but considering the age of the car and the types of connectors involved, I doubt that is the problem.

Reply to
Cletus S. Yokel