INtermittent starting problem

Totally random start-up issues with this '99 Outback wagon with A/T and

88K miles. Some mornings it fires right up, others it takes anywhere from 3 to 15 turns of the key to get it to turn over. Or, it will turn over 3-4 times then stop. Other times of the day, it starts just fine, but can also happen after work. Alternator has been replaced and battery voltage at the terminals shows nominal. I'm thinking starter (although this doesn't seem like a typical starter failure) or ignition switch. Anyone else experienced this? Recommendations on brand of starter if it needs replacing?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
psyktek

Tcassette

Consider the park/neutral switch in the transmission also. Maybe try starting in neutral to see if anything changes.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Thanks for these two suggestions. Starting in neutral makes no difference, and the crank position sensor is out of my league. But I can present that to my mechanic as a possibility.

Bob

Reply to
psyktek

Possibly the solenoid contacts. They can be changed, as can just the solenoid, on many cars. Most folks just opt for a new or rebuilt starter. The next time it refuses to start, try rapping on the starter with a chunk of wood. Sometimes it shifts position of the contacts or something enough to work. If it starts immediately, that would be diagnostic for a bum starter.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan