It's official, Manual Transmissions are making a comeback!!!

There are lots of great statistics at the Government CAFE web site. Lots of compiled data on cars going back to 1977 (and some even older.) One interesting trend tracked is the percentage of automobiles with automatic transmissions.

In 1977, 84.1% of all new cars had AT. Under pressure of demands for improved fuel economy and increasing consumer preference for import cars, that number dropped to 75.0% in 1987. Then imports went upscale, ATs became more sophisticated and fuel got cheap. By 2002,

88.5% of new cars had only two pedals and the imminent demise of the manual transmission was widely predicted.

Then something funny happened. There were rumors of rebellion in the ranks and increased reports of drivers demanding control of the gear ratios. In 2003, the percentage of cars sold with automatics dropped precipitously to 82.4%. The CAFE site is now reporting a further drop in 2004 with the lowest percentage of AT's since 1991, 79.6%. That means that the number of cars sold with manual transmissions increased

77% in only two years and a clutch is now found in one of every five new cars.

In terms of sales, this trend actually surpasses the much touted return of rear wheel drive and the movement is broad based. While keeping in mind that the politics of fuel economy can skew the definitions pretty badly, the trend is apparent in domestics, Asian and European imports. All are selling manual transmissions at levels that haven't been seen in a decade. Almost half of all European cars are now shifters, the highest rate since 1988.

Will this be a long lasting trend or a brief flash? It is still too early to tell but it certainly shows that the old MT is going to be harder to kill than it once appeared. The auto companies have now learned that there is a solid base of buyers who prefer to shift for themselves and the increased availability of this option is sure to follow.

snip

o be

Interesting! I hope that this is a trend and that it continues.

nate

02 OBW MT5
Reply to
uglymoney

Probably just indicates a wealthier and older 'boomer'/'empty nester' male buying his dream sports car.

It may last a few more years - until that demographic's knees give out.

Carl

uglym>

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

could also be low income folks buying the cheap kias and such

Reply to
jabario

I've never bought an automatic, and my last two vehicles were over $25k US.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

you're foolish man. no warranties on manuals, no mpg benefits any more.

Reply to
jabario

Huh?

My '01 OBW had a 4 year old clutch replaced, UNDER WARRANTY.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Most mfr's deny clutch work as a matter of routine. Look at the exemptions in their warranties. Subaru may be different.They replaced my wiper blades at 30k.

Reply to
jabario

Why I buy standard shift vehicles:

  • Better slippery weather control. I have company provided automatic transmissions with traction control. An experienced driver with the ability to control one more aspect of the vehicle is far better. I'd rather feather a clutch than let the computer get me off a slippery surface.
  • It's more the driver's decision to drive economically or for higher performance.
  • More fun to drive. Compare a 4 cylinder manual OBW to an auto. The automatic drives like my grandmother's car, it's a dog. To get the same "feel", I'd need the six. When run at higher RPMs, the 4 does just fine, while allowing better mileage at other times.
  • _I_ drive safer. When I'm driving an automatic, I become the slouching on the console, talking on the phone while eating, inattentive driver that I hate. A clutch pedal forces me to sit up straight and drive the car.
  • Reliability. With the exception of my '01 OBW, all of my clutches have gone 120,000 miles+. I feel they are the same in reliability terms as an auto, but usually provide plenty of warning when they to fail. I've had autos fail suddenly.
  • When I tow, manual trannys are smoother to manually downshift. Automatics lurch into lower gears when descending.
  • Cheaper at purchase

It's a personal decision, but the decision is not only about MPG.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

I wouldn't have purchased my OWB if it was not available in a stick. I eliminated other vehicles for just that reason. I honestly love driving a stick, love the feel and the sound. I love not worrying about frying my transmission while I am towing my small boat up a large hill.

Godamn, all this talk, I am going for ride!

nate

02 OBW
Reply to
uglymoney

My last three Subarus have been 5spds. It's not only about mileage, it's about control and actually driving a car. With cruise control and slush-boxes (AT) you can practically go to sleep and drive, a four year old could drive. Note the difference in trailer capacity between AT an MT on the Forester, 2000lbs-At, 2400lbs-MT. coincidence?...Not.

transmissions with traction control. An experienced driver with the ability to control one more aspect of the vehicle is far better. I'd rather feather a clutch than let the computer get me off a slippery surface> More fun to drive. Compare a 4 cylinder manual OBW to an auto. The automatic drives like my grandmother's car, it's a dog. To get the same "feel", I'd need the six. When run at higher RPMs, the 4 does just fine, while allowing better mileage at other times. >_I_ drive safer. When I'm driving an automatic, I become the slouching on the console, talking on the phone while eating, inattentive driver that I hate. A clutch pedal forces me to sit up straight and drive the car.

Reply to
jabario

Thats because the forester is based on the impreza. Outbacks and Bajas with auto tow 2400 lbs with auto. Coincidence?...not.

Reply to
jabario

Jerk?

Note the word "feather".

I do have a K&N, and use Mobil 1. That 5 extra HP really makes a difference! Have you ever driven a MT Outback? My buddy drove mine, now he dosen't like his AT.

I choose my vacation spots differently than you. I go into NYC on a regular basis... on Metro North! I don't know of any places that I want to go where it would take 3 hours to drive 40 miles. If you're going there, an automatic really would be a big plus.

When the driver actually knows how to drive, stalling and being in the wrong gear is a total non-issue. I haven't stalled since I was 16.

Do you actually know how to drive a standard? I know plenty who don't, you're not alone.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

I didnt drive a manual OB since I wouldnt buy MT vehicle exc for a sports car. Driving in NJ exposes me frequently to traffic jams etc and MT is just not worth it as a daily driver. I can drive a MT but why? I can get up and change the channel too but the remote works just as well. Autos are as/more reliable same MPG and allow others to drive my vehicle if necessary. I do still see people stalling and taking too long to get moving.

Reply to
jabario

Nah, that doesn't match recent sales trends. People have been buying more expensive cars since '97, largely due to better interest rates. Even Hyundais and Kias come with autos.

I wonder if they are combining traditional manuals with the clutchless manual mode of autos. They are now quite common on luxury and sporty cars.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Don't get too involved with this jabario. He's trolling and it appears he's hooked a few. Stupid is as stupid does. If it trolls like troll and flames like a troll, well, it's a troll.

I saw that after I read the rest of the thread.

End of my involvement.

-John

Reply to
Generic

So mr. H anyone who disagrees with you is a "troll" . This is a fairly interesting debate. But you dont like it or agree so its a "troll"

Reply to
jabario

I suspect most of these manual tranny sales tend to be in relatively less-populous areas. Or, they're a smaller proportion of sales in the more-populous areas. Reason: Stop-and-go traffic. A manual is no fun when all you use is first and second gear. Clutches wear out faster, too.

Yes, if it's just you (and your significant other) in the cool, manual-tranny car of your choice, top down or sunroof open, with only miles of curvy road ahead meandering through the pines, snow-capped mountains or ocean for a backdrop, a manual tranny is the tranny to have. But how many of us can actully drive under such conditions regularly?

Alas, for this an other practical reasons, an auto tranny is the way to go.

Reply to
Hal Whelply