Japanese auto transmission?

Hello, I own a 95 Impreza Outback (2.2 awd, auto) and at 217,000 miles the tranny is starting to slip and clunk... Someone suggested getting a transmission taken out of a car in japan (with supposedly less than 40k miles on it) I could get the tranny for about $750. The ones available used around here (Oregon) are within $100 and all of them have alot more miles on them than that... and reman ones from Subaru are just rediculous...

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks!

Reply to
John Reece

rediculous...

Not directly, but not long ago a friend toasted the engine in his '93 Civic del Sol. I did some research and found that, indeed, the Japanese don't drive very much and their salvaged engines and trannies seldom have more than 50k. He ended up getting the engine from a compatible Honda with around 40k for very little money. This was about 2 years ago and the car is still running strong.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I bought one for my '99 SUS, they are a good deal in my opinion. TG

Reply to
TG

I suggest you stop driving it and check for adjustments or solenoid malfunctions, it could save you lot of money.

Reply to
B. Mounsey

Down in NZ, most "new" car registrations are used Japanese imports. The cars traditionally have the lower miles that you refer to, but the only consideration is that they run as many hours idling in traffic. This may not affect the transmission as much. As TG stated, they are a good option and far cheaper and more reliable than a rebuild. Dave

Reply to
seak1w1

They have a crazy safety inspection after 3 years that costs about 1/3 the price of a new car. Many opt to just get rid of the "old" car and get a new one. Japan is so tiny a country that it's nearly impossible to get high kilometers on a transmission. I was a service man stationed there in the

80s. The car inspection rules for service men were relaxed and we could buy these "older" cars for a song. I paid US $2800 for a 4-year-old Nissan Bluebird (upscale Maxima).

I'd go for the Japanese tranny.

rediculous...

Reply to
DJay