JOBD on Japanese models?

Hi, sorry for the slightly off-topic here, I asked on the Toyota newsgroup, but it seems to be a newsgroup in turmoil (off-topic outnumbers on-topic). I'm currently in a country which gets a lot of used right-hand-drive Toyotas straight from Japan. I have my OBD-II connector plug for my laptop with me, and I was about to try to read the codes from a '98 Corolla, when I found out that these models don't have a JOBD port. Later I found that some 2004 models of cars had these connector ports. So does anyone know when these ports became standard on Japanese-model cars? In North America, they became standard after the

1996 model year.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

My only suggestions involve where I would start my research. I'd probably try to email the guys at

with my question. Hoping that they knew of a way to force a 'blink code' or maybe one of their 'link partners' that deal with reading systems other than OBDII.

I would also post the question at NASIOC and at

.

Maybe the Australians get the same vehicles you are getting? Search for folks building sandrails - some Aussies build them with soob parts.

good luck

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

My only suggestions involves where I would start my research. I'd probably try to email the guys at

with my question. Hoping that they knew of a way to force a 'blink code' or maybe one of their 'link partners' that deal with reading systems other than OBDII.

I would also post the question at NASIOC and at

.

Maybe the Australians get the same vehicles you are getting? Search for folks building sandrails - some Aussies build them with soob parts.

yeah, definitely try contacting some folks at these links;

good luck

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson

In the US, we have cars with OBD-II. That stands for On-Board Diagnostics (version 2 ?); a standard that allows external devices such as a laptop to communicate with the car's computer(s) for diagnostic purposes, and to get real-time engine and other auto systems performance data. Very useful for many applications.

Visit these guys for more than you ever wanted to know on the subject:

I'm guessing, but JOBD is probably something like "Japanese" On-Board Diagnostics. I'd guess the major differences are the character sets involved (ASCII vs Kangi ((whatever it's called; Japanese writing)), but don;t take that as an authoritative answer.

ByeBye! S.

Catherine Jefferson

The common term used here is JDM (Japanese Domestic Model). A significantly large proportion of "first time registered in this country" vehicles are second-hand JDM vehicles. As far as I am aware OBD readings in KIWI are not a problem. I would imagine that OBD output would be universal and it is the readers which would interpret the display to the language of the country.

Reply to
bugalugs

In North America, the standard is called OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics v2). In Europe, the same basic standard is called EOBD (European OBD). In Japan, it's called JOBD (Japanese OBD). The European and Japanese versions are pretty much completely compatible with the North American OBD-II. The only difference I would think are that the Euro or Jap versions would have some extra problem codes for their own specific markets. But I can't think of anything that a Japanese or European model of a car would have that isn't also on a North American model of car. I'm thinking of emissions related stuff, and what not. Most vehicles throughout the world these days have similar emissions equipment, but I suppose the potential is there for the Jap or Euro regulatory bodies to add a requirement that wouldn't be on a NorAm vehicle at the same time.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Thanks much. I think that I have the idea now. :-) Would a 1999 Forester have anything remotely resembling OBD of any kind? I was thinking that it might be fun to hook my laptop up to the car and see what I can see....

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson

Turmoil? Nah, no turmoil. We just have so little to discuss about Toyotas that we tend to "wander" a little! ;)

As far as OBDII, I thought the port was universal. My '95 Tercel had one, although it was required until 1997.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Are you in the US? OBD-II was mandated for the US in 1997. Also, be careful. You can do damage in there! (You can also make the car run like a bat out of helk, possibly at the expense of emissions compliance or fuel economy, and possibly engine damage.

Bear in mind an ECU is ~$800...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yousuf, as an example, I know for sure that mid 80's JDM Toyota's (anyway) didn't have EGR valves. I can imagine where there might be subtle _other_ differences, even in newer cars, but as you say, probably nothing that would keep the OBD interface from functioning. It's generally not cost effective to re-invent the wheel (so to speak) for every possible market requirement. Rather, you build everything conceivable in, and selectively disable the pieces you don't want/need.

But I certainly wouldn't want to offer bets that this is the case :-)

Catherine, to connect to your laptop, you need an interface module, and appropriate software. Hit that "Scantools" link for an idea of what's involved. I have been using one of the original Elmscan modules for several years with great results, but I'm sure there are other perfectly good packages out there. The basic software is included (with the Elmscan), but again there are numerous selections; some freeware, some shareware, some commercial. And you don't necessarily get what you pay for, either.

Email me directly if you want more info on this.

ByeBye! S.

Yes, I am in the U.S., and the Forester that I own isn't greymarket. So I guess that answers that question. :-)

I gather that any damage that I did would be in reprogramming things, not just in retrieving the current settings and looking at them. Right?

I already know that -- one had to be replaced on my 1998 Subaru Outback Sport after a weird air conditioning compressor condition caused the original one to be soaked and shorted it out. :/

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson

Where's the fun in that?! ;p

Dang!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yup, if it's a North American model. Any car from '96 onwards should have it. If it's a European model, then only cars from 2001 onwards would have them. If it's a Japanese model, don't know, that was the subject of the original question, after all. :)

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

OBD just reads and/or resets data from the ECU, you can't reprogram the ECU through any of the OBD interfaces.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

That's because yours is a North American-market model. I'm talking about an actual Japanese-market model (with right-hand drive, and all of that).

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

This is a good thing!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Lucky SOB...

Here in the states, we are limited as to what has been "Federalized" to meet safety standards. I would love to get my hands on one of those little Suzuki vans; they are sold here as Cushmans but are only to be used for a closed-campus application like a college or a large company.

But, you guys have a much more rigorous "certification of fitness" (INSPECTION) than we do; a guy from NZ told me his friend's Corolla failed because the door hinges were worn!

But you get some pretty cool Jap cars there! I LOVE wonky Jap cars. (I imagine you also get Holdens and those Ford "Falcon" car style pickup trucks, too)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Would have to be an 'well used' model for it to have worn the hinges sufficiently to 'fail'. We have to pass a WOF (Warrant of Fitness) inspection annually for the first 5 years and then every 6 months. Some of the requirements are tough. Any rust is looked at critically. Wile we do have a little snow and ice we don't salt our roads.

Generally if it's been on the roads in Japan it will be here. Eventually. (it helps that they drive on the same side of the road)

A few of them around. the Ozzies race them:

bugalugs