K&N Air filter goof up.

I decided to change up air filters in my 1999 outback sport to the K&N type air filter. The problem is, I have one of the 99's with the 2 air filter boxes. I had the original filter in the forward air filter box (the passenger side forward box) and just a gasket in the center larger air filter box. Searching the K&N site for the correst filter turned up two filters (go figure huh?) So, I picked one and ordered it. Turns out I got was the larger air filter that fits in the center air filter box. I pulled out the first filter, the gasket from the second filter box and installed the larger filter in the second box. As for the first air filter box, I fashoned a gasket from the old filter by cutting out the filter paper and removing any portion of the original filter and filter fibers. I then installed my "gasket" into the first passenger side air filter box.

What i'm curious about is will this arrangement cause my car any problems?

So far it seems to have helped the car's pick up a bit... which is good. But I don't want to damage the engine because I picked the wrong filter to replace.

Anyone know?

Reply to
pinemarten

Just for curiosity, why didn't you just return the wrong filter and get the right one?

Dukephoto

Reply to
MDCORE

I was psyched about getting the larger filter because I assumed I would get even more airflow (on top of the K&N filter properties). It wasn't until I started to search the newsgroups about the filter setup on some 99's that I started to worry a bit about it. So, if there is no issue about too much air flow or weird turbulance I want to stick with what I did.

Reply to
pinemarten