Kartboy Short Shifter

Hey all, just some thoughts on my a new Kartboy Short Shifter for my '05 WRX.

Install: First off, the install is much easier than the NASIOC online instructions would appear. All you have to do is unscrew the knob, pull on the leather pretty stuff, and undo one bolt. Then pull hard. No taking apart of the center console. The only sucky part is that you *really* do need a rubber mallet. I didn't have one and tried a piece of wood and a hammer -- no dice. Big Lots (tm) sold me a bigass rubber mallet for $1.48 and four big whacks later it was done.

Fit and Finish: Looks great and solid, better than the OEM parts.

Feel: Great. The new movement is perfect, not too long, not too short. I wish it had a little more bend in it to bring it back a little closer to the console (I think the shifter is a bit farther ahead than on the earlier models, but on the 2005 it doesn't get in the way of the arm-rest extension at all). Thus, a little more rearward bend would be desired.

Comments: I put the Kartboy shifter bushing in about 6 months ago and the difference was AMAZING!. These two parts go together so well and are so worth the cost. Plus the price is great and Tom at kartboy is great at answering e-mails promptly and being flexible. Lastly the web page navigates easily and the shipping is fast and cheap! (2 days, $3, USPS priority). I was about to spend $300 for the OEM short shift kit but I cannot fathom why now, there is no "extra shift force" required and for the ease and price this is a great great alternative.

Regards, Mike

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

Agreed, I put both the shifter and the bushings in my '05 STi and the difference was significant. Well worth the expense. An easy install and very nice uality parts.

The only minor negative I've felt is that the 5th to 6th shift feels a bit unnatural. You have to push right and pull down simultaneously from a hand position too close to your hips. I miss that shift if I don't pay attention.

The rest is 100%!

2p
Reply to
Philip Procter