Keyless entry 2004 Forrester

A friend and I both have 2004 Forrester XTs. We both have problems with the range of the key fob. Sometimes it will open the locks at 25 feet, sometimes only when we are next to the door. We changes the key fob batteries without any change. Ideas???? Solutions??

Ed in Colorado

Reply to
Chromavoid

| A friend and I both have 2004 Forrester XTs. We both have problems with the | range of the key fob. Sometimes it will open the locks at 25 feet, sometimes | only when we are next to the door. We changes the key fob batteries without | any change. Ideas???? Solutions??

I know it sounds goofy, but you will find the range much improved if you hold the keyfob in front of your chin while using it. Your body becomes part of the antenna!

john cline ii who knows this looks nuts, but it works

Reply to
john cline ii

Everyone complains about the reduced range - I've read it is an attempt to reduce 'code capture'-thieves. John is right, you'll get several more feet if you have line of sight and hold it under your chin. Also experiment with holding it vertical (awkward) or horizontal. '20-30' feet is normal.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

john cl>

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Same for my 2003 but it was much further for my 1998. This is not a problem but apparently for improved security. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Reply to
Chromavoid

I don't have a solution, but my theory is that range varies dependent upon where you are in relation to the car, i.e., where within the 360 degrees, not necessarily how far away. I haven't figured out the pattern yet.

Reply to
H. Whelply

To increase your range temporarily, you can charge yourself by rubbing the top of your head with a wool glove. To avoid losing the charge through the ground, you should hop in the air. With a little practice, you can open the car from across the lot.

Florian

Reply to
FFF

OK, now let me envision this. From this post, and others, I've learned that the way to open my Forester from afar is:

  1. Take out a wool glove (if not wearing one, which is rare here on SoCal; I guess I'll be carrying one now).
  2. Rub head vigorously with glove (on or off, or does it matter?).
  3. Just before and simultaneous with termination of head rubbing, jump into the air as far as possible.
  4. As maximum elevation is achieved, place the key fob under your chin and press the button. (Note that the upward motion of raising your arm vigorously to elevate the key fob also assists in the jump.)

I did not realize owning my first Subaru would involve cult-like practices. This will easily identify Forester drivers in large parking lots.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

You can smile if you want to, but holding the remote against your chin DOES increase its range. I've tried it, have no idea why, but it works.

I'd like to see that hop, though! I have a great picture of that!

Reply to
GTT

Distance is determined by what is next to it and where you are. The antenna is up front somewhere. If you car is burried by larger cars and you are coming from the back, your distance should be shorter. If you car is alone in a lot, your range should be longer. My batteries only last 3 months or so.

Reply to
M. Butkus

Must be lifestyle difference. I've gone for over a year on original batteries. Be thankful that Subaru uses replaceable batteries. I've heard that some manufacturers use sealed remotes and expect you to buy new ones in the $50 range when the batteries go dead. (People who have cracked them open observe that the batteries are easily obtainable, standard models. Biggest challenge is sealing the things back up.)

CompUSA is a great source of CR2032 batteries at about $1 each.

Reply to
BBB

My '02 ForesterS keyfob opener works from the same distance as when we bought the car, 2 years ago this week. The batteries are original. I'd say the keyless entry system has been changed since '02. Bug your dealer for an answer. Three month battery life, as other's have, is ridiculous.

BoB

Reply to
BoB