leaking rear cover plate

Just got the timing belt replaced on my Y2K OB. The replaced all the front seals (crank and cam) but said they also saw leakage from the rear cover plate (also referred to it as the baffle). Told me this wasn't that unusual and when they replaced it they typically replaced the rear seal as well. I've never heard any of you guys talk about this kind of oil leak out of the Subies. Is it realitively common? Quoted me a price of $300-350 to fix it, does this seem about right? Jack

Reply to
jbaker

I've not heard about leaking rear seals. Have them show it to you.

The price seems fair since I think the transmission has to come out to get to the seal.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I've had this on a '97 OBW.

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Pluzhnikov

It's called an oil separator plate and it does leak after a while. The rear main seals typically aren't a problem but since the trans is out, it's not a bad idea.

snipped-for-privacy@marketron.com wrote in news:1106121604.656351.140150 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Jcee