leaky head gasket

Hi All,

2006 Forrester, 4cyl

I get my oil changed at the dealership, as they are always sending me coupons that make it the same price as everyone else and I really want a profession on hand if something goes wrong. (One of my customers had hers changes at the Jiffy Lube. Her car looked Perdy on the tow truck [stripped treads on the oil spout].)

The dealership is always telling me things to fix, which I have other double check. Usually, they only need fixing in a few years.

The dealership told me a have a leaky head gasket. They showed me a little tiny stain. There is so little oil that dirt is not even sticking to it yet. Between oil changes, I am not losing any oil. This has been going on for several years. Every oil change.

Now my old car was a Pontiac. It leaked about a quart a week. (No fooling.) I must have spent over $5000 getting the leaks fixed. Nothing helped. I made the statement that Pontiac proves that oil can drip through solid metal.

No what looks to me like one drop a month of oil on my subi seems to me like heaven. Is there some over riding reason I should get it fixed? Money is tight at the moment.

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Did not mention my leaky head gasket in your rubber band thread but it happened a year after my water pump change at about 45,000 miles. It was antifreeze that was being leaked and I could notice it by the sweet smell. Same smell as year before with water pump problem.

Reply to
Frank

Hi Frank,

Mine smells like oil, maybe. But, I have only smelled it twice in the last three years. Had a mechanic I work for look for the smell and he couldn't find it. Said it was probably just some road grease/oil that got threw up on the engine block from the road.

When the dealership showed it to me, I almost said, "So? Looks like the cleanest engine I have seen in years."

-T

Reply to
Todd

I'd hold off on it and keep fluids in check.

I did not detail my head gasket repair two years ago but looking back at my records: the water pump and timing belt was done in '09 at 36,000 miles for $732 and the head gasket in '10 at 40,200 miles for $1,300. I took these early failures to the 800 number for Subaru of America and got $500 back.

Reply to
Frank