Legacy AC dead

This is about a 98 Legacy GT Wgn [US].

The air conditioner is dead. No cold air from A/C at all, yet the control light on the dash lights up.

10A fuse in mail fuse box (engine compartment) is okay. No sounds [ clicks] of AC compressor clutch engaging/disengaging. Both hoses to- and from A/C compressor feel warm...

I wonder if that sounds like a low-refrigerant condition or a bad AC compressor/clutch.

The belt is OK, I should add...

florian /FFF/

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

The usual cause when this happens is a loss of refrigerant due to a leak. Take it to a shop that does AC work and have them put gauges on it. If the system is empty it will need to be evacuted, leak-tested and repaired. If it's been empty and exposed to the air for any length of time the receiver-dryer should be replaced before it is recharged.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks, mulder - I was just wondering if that would cause the compressor clutch to not engage at all anymore. Replacing the entire unit, or at least the compressor, may not be an option right now, therefore I am trying to narrow it down BEFORE sinking money into a professional diagnosis.

florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

It's been a long time so I may be wrong. When I added freon to my wife's old taurus, the compressor wouldn't come on until there was a certain pressure in the system. I believe the service manual had you hotwire a pressure switch to get the compressor on then add the freon.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yes there is a low-pressure cutout switch to protect the compressor from running with the system low or empty, so a low or nonexistent charge will prevent the clutch from engaging at all. It's unlikely that the compressor itself is bad, although of course it's possible. Usually a leak is due to a bad seal at one of the fittings, or impact damage to the condensor which is in a vulnerable location being in front of the radiator.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks, guys. Exactly what I needed to know.

florian /FFF/

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/