Legacy AC quit!

1999 Legacy Wagon 2.2L automatic Yesterday was the 1st warm day since October, so naturally I needed to switch on the AC. Problem is, it isn't putting out any cold air.

Dash light comes on, but the usual compressor relay sound from under the dash that tells me its working is conspicuously absent. I checked the fuse under the hood, and they are OK. I have no idea whether the 4 relays under the hood are OK, They look normal. System blows air temp air when set to coolest setting. The system doesn't seem to come on at all, as far as I can tell. BTW, I had the rad replaced in the fall. Is it possible the stealer forgot to re-connect something?

Any ideas or anyone had a similar problem?

Reply to
James

Most later model AC units won't cycle on unless there's Freon in the system. I suspect a leak. I have a 5-speed '99 Legacy Outback and you don't have to muck with any AC stuff to change it's radiator. YMMV.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The condenser on most cars is very vulnerable to any missiles coming it's way (stone etc. ) I suspect a condenser leak, since it appears that you do not have anything left in the system. I would also suspect a poor install.

BTW, I have a 22 year old Audi that got a new condenser last summer. Today when it hit 24C here in Canada she blew cold air because the system is tight and the install was done right.

Also an OBW owner.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

24C is cold air where I live (:
Reply to
Jim Stewart

LMAO! I suspect it blew cold air cuz 24C IS cold! It was 38C on my shady back porch here in SoCal yesterday when I got home from a nice bicycle ride, and it hasn't even gotten warm yet!

Ok, all kidding aside, glad your system's still doing well after so many years! Still running R-12, or was it converted to 134?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright