Legacy B4 handbrake / trans

Bit of a basic query. Just traded an Impreza HX for a JDM MY2000 Legacy RSK B4 4AT.

Noticed tonight (first time parked on a hill) that the handbrake only works for stopping forward motion. The car will roll / can be driven backwards with the handbrake on. It'll sit happily on a hill in park, but the handbrake isn't work spit - was also hard to get into reverse too that time. The car will not move forwards with the handbrake on.

I vaugely remember seeing the odd discussion about a hill-holder feature some time back, is there something basic I'm missing, or does it need fixing? Not sure if it's relevant, but I noticed that the rear brake pads are worn (front have been replaced fairly recently) - but the last mechanic to look properly said they didn't need replacing (yet).

Also, I've noticed an occasional bit of vibration when the auto changes, either 3-2 or 4-3, not quite sure which. The only way I can describe it is a low pitch rumble that sometimes happens when the car is being feathered in round town traffic - almost like for an instant, it dithers over which gear is required, then changes. I haven't managed to duplicate it when the tiptronic is being used.

The car is booked in for a proper service next week, but I'd like to have a few ideas ahead of time - any appreciated.

Reply to
cobs

This is quite common, among many vehicles. My Jeep Cherokee does the same. Nothwithstanding, this doesn't say that your parking brake is properly adjusted, or won't improve with some attention.

Reply to
CompUser

Hill holder is only on manual transmission vehicles to keep them from rolling back when the clutch is pressed in. Many cars have parking brakes that are weak in the reverse direction, especially if you back up many times with them engaged. If the lever is all the way up and there are no more ratchet notches, then the cable may be stretched and require adjustment.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom