Legacy Engine transplant

Hi folks. I have a 2litre, non turbo 92 Brighton SW (EJ20) which just overheated, siezed and died without warning. A friend has donated a complete EJ20 2 litre motor but it is a quad-cam. Thought of just using my inlet manifold and coil packs as I am not sure what goes where otherwise. Also donor motor is manual and mine is auto, I am hoping the flex plate will fit the quad-cam motor. So.....was wondering if anyone has done this before or should I look for one the same as mine?. Thanks, Michelle

Reply to
Chelle

tough call, and on a friday night also so i can't ask the other techs. the ecu is set for the single cam, and I think that may be the downfall. I would look for a single cam motor myself.

Reply to
StephenH

I would be surprised if it did. This engine doesn't use a distributor. Instead uses "timing sensors" located on the camshafts and crankshaft. I guess you could check at the dealer to learn if these sensors on the original engine are the same used on the quad-cam engine but my guess is they aren't. Also guessing the exhaust system is also different.

Reply to
johninky

Forgot to mention you mat want to also replace the radiator. It may have been the source of your problem.

Reply to
johninky

I think, in addition to what others have said, that the transmission bell housing is a little bit different between the older SOHC EJ20 and the newer DOHC version; one has a stud where the starter mounts, while the other has a bolt. There is a work around, but it isn't trivial, and considering everything else that you are going to need to make the swap work (ECU, exhaust, air intake plastic, ???), I'd hesitate to recommend the job unless you just like a challenge. If your donated engine has a car attached which could supply bits and pieces as needed it would simplify things a bunch. We grafted an EJ22 into a newer Outback a couple years ago to replace a dead DOHC EJ25. We had the inventory of a complete Subaru salvage yard to work with, and it was still a pain getting everything sorted out. FWIW, I'm pretty sure the EJ22 (a proven robust power plant) will drop right in in place of your EJ20, but for absolute guarantee of a trouble-free swap, your best bet will be to find another SOHC EJ20.

ByeBye! S.

At the Forum

there is a section devoted to transplants that may be helpful. I think there may be one at NASIOC as well. not sure -

1 Lucky Texan