Legacy Estate Vs Volvo XC70 Estate off road

Hi all,

Saw this clip on youtube.com, thought some of you might enjoy watching it.

Well worth a look

Reply to
Marcus

This was available and posted here long before the wizards of business development at Ford propagated the same shit into the 500. On the plus side once you get stuck you can practice your carmasutra in the spacious trunk.

Reply to
isquat

LMAO

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Why didn't they disable AWD on the Subaru also. It would have made the comparison worthwile.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

quoted text -

Reply to
bigjim

You blind or an idiot?

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

My apologies I take the idiot back. It seems Volvo is making idiots out of people claiming their cars have AWD, of sorts. See below article titled:

How come Volvo can claim they have full time AWD even though primarely only two wheels are powered?

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

The same way Subaru does?

"It transfers the power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip."

Some Subies use electric friction clutches just like Honda's "Real Time 4WD. "

Other Subies have real AWD with center diffs and full-time drive.

Reply to
Bonehenge

If you look carefully at the video it appears, not definite, but it appears to me that the Subaru is a manual transmission car- the guy looks for a brief moment to be shifting a manual gear. If this were the case the the Subaru would have had a 50/50 torque split between front and rear wheels. The Volvo is 95/5 making it practically a FWD car. Not very good comparison.

This video cannot be judged without hearing and understanding the commentary.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

The XC70 Cross Country comes in both FWD and AWD guises, and that one is clearly a FWD model as you originally stated, not a part time AWD.

If it was one of the AWD versions it wouldn't stand there with the back wheels doing nothing once the fronts were spinning...

Reply to
Phil

Er no, XC70 only sold as AWD, V70 was the FWD model

Reply to
Marcus

As the Subaru drives up the hill the commentator says that the Subaru has a full time four wheel drive with a 50/50 split. Before he tries to drive the Volvo up the hill, he states that both cars are automatic and have the exact same tires. Before he tries the Volvo a second time, he says that Volvo claims they have to apply more throttle, and as the Volvo fails again, the commentator says that the Volvo has a 95/5 split and that the rear should get more when the front is slipping.

CE

Reply to
CE

comes in both FWD and AWD guises, and that one is

Pay attention to the video. The rears are spinning a little bit, but not nearly enough to have any effect.

Reply to
isquat

As a swede (therfore being able to understad what is said in the movie) I can confirm that the Volvo in the clip is a V70XC, meaning it is 2002 or earlier and has the old viscous (passive) coupling. Don't confuse this with the Haldex system used from 2003 (the car was at the same time renamed to XC70) - the two are like night and day. The Haldex is used both in Volvo and Ford Freestyle. For more technical info see the Haldex website:

Strange how these old videos can pop up every now and then and every time be misunderstood. Is it done deliberatly, are do people just assume what they want to assume???

Reply to
staffann

What we want to assume. Bottom line is: it's part time. And 60ms is way too slow. End of story. You have a video of a drifting XC70?

Reply to
isquat

For some reason the outback seems to have better traction than a cat wearing horse-shoes.

I remember about 5 years ago, >>

Reply to
AS

I was unable to find anything at this website that explains the different AWD systems on each of the cars that use Haldex. So which AWD system does the newer Volvo use and where can we find any specs.

I find it interesting that Haldex claims you can have different sized tires and not damage their AWD system.

Reply to
Ed

That's because it's an awd-on-demand crap with 60ms activation time: zero use for spirited cornering. It's probably barely enough for an elderly board members not to get stuck on their way up to their ski chalets up in the sierras. Amen to that.

I can't wait for Acura to slice a very sharp TSX katana up the arses of the makers of the crappy awd systems that are abundant on the market these days. Though people have bought that part time garbage before despite the availability of Subaru and audi systems and probably would buy in the future.

Some cretins are just flush with cash.

Reply to
isquat