Legacy GT front end problem

My '97 has 99000 miles, has developed a front end vibration getting worse for a few months that I only notice turning, esp. at slow speeds. Feels like the tires are scrubbing on the pavement. There's no noise like a CV problem. Regular driving, even at freeway speed, feels normal. My wheel shop diagnosed too much axle play and replaced the axles, then told me it didn't help, so they replaced the old axles (at no charge!) and said they think it's the transmission. Before I go further, any ideas or experience out there? Thanks very much.

Bob

Reply to
R. Levor

search this newsgroup or over at

for 'torque bind' . Check all 4 tires for circumference measurements within about 1/4" of each other. If the tires are mixed, then IMMEDIATELY replace as many as required to make them be the same size. If you have an auto tranny, place the spare fuse in the FWD position in the fuse box under the hood (check your manual under spare tire/flat). If the problem goes away, you will AT LEAST need a transmission fluid flush and maybe an additive. More than likely you will need a transmission repair. If the problem does not go away, you may have a bad duty solenoid C or associated wiring. Occasionally, a frozen drive shaft U joint will cause a similar feeling.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I really appreciate the information. Plugging in the FWD fuse did eliminate the problem. My usual mechanic wants to replace the trans with a used one - estimates $1000-1500 plus $200 labor. I trust him, but I'm not sure replacing it with the same vintage makes sense, since it would have the same defect. A local transmission shop that says they know this problem well, most likely it's the transfer clutch and they can rebuild the unit themselves. He charges $95 for diagnosis, but he sounds knowledgeable, so I'll probably visit him next week. Thanks again. Any further opinions welcome.

Bob L.

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
R. Levor

PLEASE, check with others more knowledgable than me as to exactly which year the trannys began to get the steel sleeve in the tailshaft. One of the problems was that an aluminum wear area was involved with some early failures. Not that the 4EAT can't fail anyway - but no point in putting in one of the worst models! I THINK your year has the steel. I;d be tempted to find a rebuilt unit. Too large a chance that a used unit has a clutch pack that is nearly worn out. I dunno - maybe if it came with a really good exchange warranty or something.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan