Legacy GT Head Unit Advice

Is it an easy job to get the double din unit out of a '96 Legacy GT... I'm assuming that I can ditch the factory unit and put a better one fairly easily ?

Reply to
Phil

Very easy. Use the connector adapter harness. Don't cut any of the stock wiring.

Reply to
johninKY

Cheers. Is it easy to get the unit itself out then ?

Haven't had a proper look yet, but I couldn't see an obvious way to get at it. I assume you have to start with taking the centre console out or something first ?

Reply to
Phil

If I remember correctly on my 90 GT SW you took out the cupholder to get to two screws. The ashtray has 3 screws, one w a a ay in the back. The head unit is held by 3 screws, one on each side and one w a a y in the back.

Reply to
bugalugs

I don't know what the differences are between your '96 and my '00 OB, but it wasn't a bad experience.

If you buy a new unit from Crutchfield

you'll get pretty decent instructions. Personal thought: Stay with a double-DIN new unit. The controls tend to be easier to work. I went with a Sirius/HD Radio unit in single.. it's rather cramped at the controls.

Spend the money on new speakers as well if you can afford them, your ears will thank you.

Reply to
nobody >