legacy haynes book for 2002 impreza?

My Impreza is at ~105,000 miles, and it has aquired several minor but very annoying defects - like, the AC motor is not blowing on the 2nd setting, the driver door lock is loose, and the sliding cofee cup holder is stuck inside due to a cofee spill (I intend to drive the car into the ground, so I was not particlarly nice to it, apart from engine maintenance). With my old Nissan I could do minor repairs, like taking off a door panel/the face panel, using a Haynes book with no trouble. But there seems to be a conspiracy against Imprezas at Haynes. Would a Legacy book do? Any suggestions?

Reply to
runcyclexcski

The blower motor troubles sound as though the blower motor resistor module has lost one of it's resistors inside. Worth pulling and checking, as it should be a relatively easy fix, unless of course in the '02 Subaru has gone and made it harder to get at. It's normally above the passenger side foot area, not far from the bottom of the blower motor housing, connected via a rubber loom shrouded set of wires.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

should I look for a loose connection around a resistor? I am not tmuch of an electrician. A book would be really helpful...

Reply to
runcyclexcski

Actually, from my experience, the resistor does not resember a "resistor" as you might picture in electronics. Instead, it's a box, with three resistors inside, one for each fan setting, with the fourth fan setting being full blast and having no resistor to "slow" it down. If you can find the underside of the fan, the cylindrical motor cover should have what looks like a rubber hose protruding from it, leading to a small, square plastic device that is installed in the underside of the ductwork for the air system. That should be your resistor module. To get at all of this, you may have to remove a piece of moulding or trim that usually covers the underside of the dash and protects the wiring and passengers' feet from getting at one another. The resistor plugs into a harness so it's easily replaceable, but it's probably not cheap. Might check with a wrecking yard before you go to a dealer, unless $50 isn't too big of a deal. Before you replace it, of course, if you've a multimeter or something handy, check resistances on the three different resistors to ensure that is the problem. Normally, one or more of them simply wear out and break, creating an open circuit which causes that particular fan setting to fail.

~Brian

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@q4g2000prc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
strchild