Let the Tweaking Begin

checked all the fluids in my new 07' 2.5i 5M Impreza wagon. Have to learn all this new fangled stuff, so I can drive the dammed car.

Evened and lowered the tire pressures to factory specs, and ran the motor. Hear a faint knock from the front of the motor. Sounds like around the idler pulley for the alternator belt. Sounds harmless, but will want to know what it is. Motor has a little shake, and think they say the Boxers Do That. Gona have to convince me. They Say 4's aren't as smooth as 6's or 8's, even a close mechanic friend, but I got my

4's smooth. He was a 4cyl man, and I amazed him.

VF

Reply to
houndman

**My Subie mechanic told me to run them all at the same psi. I had the fronts at 31-32 and the rear at 29 as was stated in the manual ('05 5M Impreza RS wagon). One of the back tires lost significant air (nail) and, as I was bringing it in for an oil change, I asked them to look at it. When I returned to pick up the car, the supervisor said to keep all of the tires at the 31-32 mark and not at 29. He stated that they would wear correctly and last longer.
**My Subie does that little shake. My brother-in-law's ex-STi did the same thing also.
**I like how it sounds :)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Scared me for a sec. I thought Kaboomie, was the sound, or what happened because of the shake.))

Probably can't change much like the old cars, but I used a vacuum gauge often to set the timing. 4's aren't supposed to pull as much as

6's or 8's, but I could set them to pull the vacuum that 8's were supposed to, unless the guage was bad.

VF

Reply to
houndman

**Nah :) I just picked up that nickname from a cereal that I used to love when I was a kid (if anyone remembers Kaboom!).
**I had the hood open on my car and my Dad had a look-see. Then he opened up the hood on his '66 El Camino and we had to laugh. It was the epitome of simplicity.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Yea, used to be able to See the ground around the motor on the older cars.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Yep, ONE (yes 1 ) vacuum line! Remember oil bath air cleaners? owned 2 cars with them.

I think one of my cars had over 30 Zerk fittings!

cars nowa days are kinda 'binary'. They work - then they don't start (well, since the 90s anyway computers and CEL codes DO help) but in the old days the car would slowly start running worse and worse until you did a 'tune up'. At least you had some warning before it went bad.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yea Carl,

I remember those goodies, and the oil filters in a container putside the motor that you could put a roll of toliet paper in, and glass bowls on fuel pumps. At least Sube looks like changing a fuel pump doesn't need dropping the gas tank.

A Howe 2001 computer isn't my idea of a Good relationship. I have changed things before, to make things work better, but now a days it looks like it will take someone with a Bigger brain to figure fixes. I have a CRT front projection TV, and it can have a problem and someone figured that a jumper wire on the circut board will fix. I imagine the ECM on a Sube is all IC's. I used to work for a co that made materials used in them, but don't think that will help. We worked on developing materials to use in emission controls for Fiat's electronics branch, but our testing was to put them in a tube furnace, and shooting hydrogen and nitrogen into the tube, to simulate a rich and lean mixture.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Sube's do shake a fair(but not bad) amount at idle and very low RPM. Once the r's are up (~800-1000 rpm), they smmoootth out. Had an '82 Toyota pickup that wasn't that nice, it shook loose alternators, starters, carb adapters, sparkplugs(!?). It never did anything internally really nasty tho, 250K and still going when I sold it and nothing major had ever done besides exterior gaskets

Reply to
nobody >

I added gas, and maybe a different brand than the dealer puts in, but things Seem to be getting smoother. Been playing with tire pressures, and the ride is improving, and doesn't always make sense based on the pressures, and I wonder if the surge is bad with the AC on? A lot of new things to get familar with while driving a new car in a big city, and not driving a manual for 25 yrs it is hard to figure what is going on. I Think I may have been driving at night with the daytime lights, since I could flash the high beams, but they wouldn't stay on. Checking it out, it looks like the headlights Weren't on.

VF

Reply to
houndman