LGT cabin air filter "offer" from SOA

Got my new Legacy GT a few weeks ago. Today I get in the mail from SOA a wonderful offer to *install* a cabin filtration system. I assume it's the same (if not identical) thing as in my WRX. I wonder though why, first off, it wouldn't be stock in their most "upscale" car version (2.5 GT limited) and why it would be in the WRX.

That not withstanding, is the "install" feature mean they simply put an overpriced filter in an already existing compartment or do they actually install the whole system? Because I have some left over filters from my WRX (home-made 3M, just as good, way cheaper) that I could easily do myself.

I just wonder this before I tear the glovebox open.

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

If it's like my OBW - yeah, you're just putting filters in. Though, they may be shaped differently than in the Imprezas - dunno. At

I believe they recently added a section on the cabin filters. Also, jamie at
would know about what, if any, the differences are. Just ask if she knows if the part numbers are the same and you have a leftover filter (don't mention you made it) and see what shee says. My wife's OBW actually has 2 in there and one has a weird plastic standoff. But i have the old set to gut for the next change and will make my own.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Spent about 2 hours doing more research today...

Turns out the Legacy filter is a part number G3210AG000 while the WRX is a part number G3210FE100. Were they the same I'd reason to be they'd have the same number. From what pictures I've seen the Legacy also has a black plastic frame with a corner cut off, while I know the WRX version is all white with reenforced sides but no frame, per se.

Also turns out that the "kit" from what I can find, is a trapdoor installed in the back of the glovebox that allows easy filter changes ($80 for the door and a filter, PN SOA342L500). Without said "kit" you have to pull half the trim apart (starting at the center console, believe it or not!) to get to behind the glovebox. ......sounds like a real chore.

Mike

Mike Lloyd