LGT/RSK alternator / electrics (NZ)

Hi,

got a JDM MY2000 RSK b4 that stranded us the other night. Roadside AA callout found no juice from the alternator, so the battery had been drained. Diag was confirmed by an auto sparkie at the local garage. Topping it didn't help :) They managed to jump it with just enough juice to run to a lockup before it quit.

The neat thing(tm) is that the alternator was replaced with a new one about 5k/7mths ago. At the time, the rectifier had gone and the regulator was on the way out (or vice versa) - hence the complete change.

Alternator failure 7mths ago was noticed immediately by the battery icon appearing on in the dash. Yesterdays photon death was preceded by a check engine light for about

5mins, then progressive failures (ABS et al. - figured it out quick from the mechanics warning from the previous occasion).

But when the car was trucked to the regular mechanics for a warranty look-see, they found there was juice from the alternator (though I don't know if it's enough) - they're still looking at it.

So - do you think it's just one of those things, or is it likely that there's something else that could be contributing? The car has done nearly 100k -/ 100k service already done, no probs reported.

TIA.

Reply to
cobs

No question it COULD be just 'bad luck'. A pair of remote possibilities come to my mind; replacement alt. was a poorly rebuilt used item instead of new FHI product. Or you have some corroded/missing ground connections that somehow stressed the charging system.

hope it gets 'sorted' for you

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

[...]

Thanks - I'll get them to confirm if the 'new' alternator was new-new or reman next week.

I don't know where the grounds are - would you expect any badly corroded connections to be noticed when things are apart for the 100k service?

Reply to
cobs

Its a stab at a slim possibility really. Not being familiar with your weather conditions, if your car does not experience salt from sea air or winter road treatments by the governemtn, or suffer from rust in general, likely the ground connections are OK unless some work was done and they were compromised. If you are having a mechanic take a look, just mention it and he may take it into consideration.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan