Liberty and Impreza won't start when warm

My previous car was a 95 Liberty which developed an annoying habit of not starting when the engine is warm. OK when cold, OK when hot. But after a short run to the shops the darn thing wouldn't start unless I waited half an hour, or tipped a bucket of water over the engine.

I put it down to bad luck, traded it for an Outback and moved on.

Now my wife's 95 Impresa (1600cc engine - not the WRX) has developed exactly the same problem.

Is this a common thing or a known "feature"? Any ideas on the cause and the fix?

Many thanks Paul Fisher Perth, Western Australia

Paul Fisher

paul,

i had the something like that happening with my '91 bmw.

do a search on google for "warm start" and "check valve" you will see many people with various brands have a similar problem (which MAY be the same problem you have). the check valve is a one/way valve between the fuel pump and your engine. if it fails fuel drains back towards the tank and causes vapor lock. my car would start fine hot or cold... but between 20 min and an hour or so after shutting the engine off it would take numerous attempts (2-4) to turn it over (that cant be too good for the starter) i guess once the line finally drains back all the way to the tank (after an hour or so) there is no more a vapor interference in the fuel line.

a mechanic wanted to replace the fuel pump since the check valve was part of it(it's located in the fuel tank and is an expensive german part $$$) i found a kit for a earlier bmw model to fix the same problem (it cost $3) it simply put another check valve on the outside of the tank making the one inside redundant. problem solved...for me at least...

good luck

Reply to
username

[...]

Thanks Username,

I'll look that up.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Fisher

Crank angle sensor-trust me.

Reply to
Klaus Sturm

G'day Klaus,

Can you give me any more details?

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul Fisher

The sensor is directly above and slightly behind the crankshaft pulley from what I can see. It's only about an inch or so long and has a small wiring harness attached to it. Mine has two little bolts holding it in.

Reply to
oothlagre