Liberty RX: Musty smell when starting the heater

The service guys say there are no filters that could be damp, and they "don't think" there's anywhere in the air intake that water could be pooling, but we still get this musty smell for the first couple of minutes. What's the cause, and is there any way to fix it?

Clifford Heath (about to pay for HG repair... on to minor worries).

Reply to
Clifford Heath

This is usually caused by mildew or mold in the evaporator, which is the result of standing water left from AC operation. To correct this, at least temporarily, you can spray Lysol or a similar disinfectant product into the outside air intake below the windshield while the vent fan is running. This will pull the disinfectant through the system and hopefully reduce the mildew and smell. You may have to repeat the treatment periodically. Here in the US, some car dealers and parts stores sell products specifically for this purpose, don't know if you have something similar available there but you can ask around. To prevent this from happening in the future, avoid shutting the car down with the AC still running. Instead, turn it off a short distance before reaching your destination and leave the vent running, this will allow the evaporator to dry out somewhat so there is less standing water to promote mold/mildew growth. Also, avoid using the recirculate function except when absolutely necessary. Keep it set for fresh air.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks for the description and the fix, I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Asusming you're in Aus - spray about 5 sec worth of Glen20 into each dash vent with the air off. Leave for a while then run normally. If you can use a WD40 tube or similar you'll aovid getting alcohol on the vent plastic. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

For us un-ausies (canuck, eh) What is Glen20 or what type of product is it.

This reminds me of Brits calling Catsup "Red Sauce" or HP sauce "Brown Sauce".

Just replaced the filter element on my WRX with a 3M A/C filter. Piece of cake to cut with scissors... The chicken wire cut real easily. The old filter was full of s**te and dirty, but by no means blocked. Anyway.... The mildew smell wasn't present on the filter but was in the cabin, but as soon as I swapped the filters the smell went away. ($9.97 for a filter big enough to make 6+ new ones out of).

For what it's worth....

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
mulder

Not in Liverpool we didn't call it red sauce and brown sauce! Mind you an

85yo friend of my mum used to call tomato sauce Aussie Gravy ...

Glen 20's a surface spray anti-bacterial aerosol that has 60% ethanol as an active ingredient. Must have something similar over there. Cheers

Reply to
hippo