Light out for a/c and blower controls?

Regarding my 1997 Legacy GT station wagon: While driving one evening I noticed that it was dark around the a/c and heater controls. The only illumination is from the little rectangular l.e.d.'s that indicate which vent you have chosen to enable. Is there supposed to be some sort of background illumination for the entire panel area?

Thanks for your reply.

David Farber L.A., CA

Reply to
David Farber

Yes, there are lights other than the leds, same holds true for some of the pushbotton switches like the hazzard lights, etc.

You will need to pull out the climate control to replace the bulbs. You better get them from subaru (expensive) if you do not want to tweak with the ones sold by radio shack.

Good luck!

David Farber wrote:

Reply to
AS

Do I just insert a small screwdriver somewhere and pry open the panel? Is there a hidden latch somewhere?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

In order to remove the bezel around the climate control, you need to remove the center console starting by removing it from around the shifter. Then remove the two screws at the lower end of the bezel and pry it out. Be careful not to break the "hook pawls"

Then set the temp control to max heat (if manual control) and remove the

6 screws that hold the radio/temp control assy. Pull out slightly, remove the temp control cable and the antenna.

The procedure might differ from my model year to yours but should be basically the same.

David Farber wrote:

Reply to
AS

If you run the dash lights about half-way the bulbs will never burn out.

Reply to
David

I've uploaded a picture of the panel.

I removed the screws from A and B. That allowed me to remove the cup holder assembly. If I pull at point C, I can squeeze the temperature assembly bezel past the car stereo bezel and I would think at this point I wouldn't need to remove the center console. In other words, the tabs for the screw holes A & B prevent the temperature bezel from being removed but I can swing this part away from the dash enough so that there is enough clearance to remove the temperature bezel if not for the fact that it is in some way fastened at point D and above.

Does this make sense? If so, how do I "unhook" the bezel from the part D?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

The question for me is, where are those snaps that secure the bezel of the climate control?

Reply to
David Farber

I remember using a thin blade between the dashboard and the bezel top. Makes sure u do not mark the dashboard or the bezel. I swung the a/c vents up to allow my fingers to grab the bezel.

I looked up the service manual for your vehicle and there is no indication to the specific location of the snaps.

I can scan the page and email it to you if you provide me with an email addy.

Good luck.

David Farber wrote:

Reply to
AS

farberbear at a o l dot com

Thanks.

David Farber

Reply to
David Farber

With the help of your scans, I was able to pull off the bezel and remove the control box. For future reference, the snaps are located on either side of the midpoint line of the vent.(I've updated the online photo. There are three lamps that are mounted into the circuit board of the control unit. You simply turn them counterclockwise a quarter turn and they fall out.

Thanks for your support.

Reply to
David Farber