Line Up Cam Shafft Pulley 1990 Loyale.

1990 Subaru Loyale turbo automatic:

My drivers side timing belt slipped due to the tensioner going bad. Now the cam is off. How do you turn the cam pulley to get the mark lined back up?

Reply to
issjoe

I just use a wrench on one of the three bolts. Need to do it slowly to prevent snapping it off. You do know how to time the camshafts? If you time them with both timing marks "straight up" then it is wrong.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

The manual says to line up the middle of three marks on the flywheel with a sribe on the timing hole cover . Then line the mark on drivers cam pulley with the notch on the plate behind timing chain cover. Thats is suposed to get that cam back in the correct position. Does that sound right ?

Reply to
issjoe

Yes it does but after the first belt is installed, the engine has to be rotated one revolution. Because the cams turn at 1/2 crank speed, this moves the timing marks 180 degrees on the belt just installed. Just make sure when both belts are installed, timing marks one one camshaft are in alignment and the ones on the other camshaft are "off" by 180 degrees.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Hi,

Sorta... it's been a while since I was inside my engine, so I don't recall whether the mark you mention is at the 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock position, but I'm thinkin' 12 o'clock (the book should have the picture.) Regardless, the cams are timed so the marks are installed to be 180 deg OPPOSITE each other when everything's ready to be buttoned up.

In other words, you put on the first belt and time its cam at (assuming)

12 o'clock. Then you rotate the engine 360 deg so that cam is now at 6 o'clock (cams turn 1/2 speed of engine), and install the SECOND belt w/ its cam at 12 o'clock.

Otherwise, you're never gonna get the engine restarted! (We won't ask for a show of hands from the "Don't ask me how I know this" crowd!)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

The drivers side belt is the one that slipped . The passenger belt didnt slip. Isn't the passenger side still in correct position? The book implies that the drivers side cam pulley just needs to be realigned when the center of the three marks on flywheel are lined up with the scribe on timing mark hole.

Reply to
issjoe

I see what you guys are saying about 180 dergree difference. I was trying to avoid taking off the passenger side timing belt cover, because I didn't want to remove the crank pully. However I can see that I'm going to have to, to see that the cam pulley timing marks are

180 different. Thank to everyone
Reply to
issjoe

Update: I pulled off the passenger timing cover and the belt is still lined up correctly. Both cam pulley timing marks were already marked with yellow paint Right no the passenger side is at 6 oclock and the drivers side is at 9 oclock..I need to move the drivers side to 12 oclock l'm still trying to figure out a way to slip the drivers side timing belt off the cam sprocket so I can realign it without taking the center timing belt cover off. That would require taking the crank pulley off which sounds like a pain.

Reply to
issjoe

Use the dot on the sprocket and the notch in the cover to time the cams.

6:00 and 12:00 are just general, get you in the ballpark, terms. Also you could have just pulled the timing cover end cap to verify the position of the other sprocket.

Normal procedure timing the belts involves first installing the driver's side belt, rotating the engine 360 degrees and then installing the other belt. But you will have to reverse this procedure since the second belt is already installed. You need to keep rotating the engine until the passenger side timing marks, the dot and notch, are in alignment and the pointer in the bellhousing is pointing at the middle of the 3 lines on the flywheel. Use this as your starting point. Now rotate the engine one full revolution and install the driver's side timing belt. You know the belts are installed correctly by just rotating the engine and stopping at the middle timing mark. One dot/notch on one of the camshafts will be in alignment. Rotate another 360 degrees and the other camshaft dot/notch will be in alignment. Sort of confusing but you'll figure it out.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

At this point the passenger side is lined up with the notch/dot on the cam pulley and the belhousing pointer is in the middle of the three lines. Its at approx. 6 oclock.

The drivers side dot is at approx. 9 oclock The drivers and passengers timing belts are still connected.. So the cam pulley is out of line, it should be at approx 12 oclock where the dot/ match right now. Right? If I rotate the engine, drivers side will still be off by the same amount. Dont I just take the drivers belt off and manually rotate the drivers side cam sprocket so the dot/notch is aligned at approx.12 oclock. At that poiint the passenger dot/notch will be 180 dergrees from the drivers dot/notch.

Reply to
issjoe

Hi,

Another thought since you're in that far:

Install NEW belts, both sides! Cheap insurance... you don't know what the old belt went thru when it "slipped" plus do you know for sure how many miles are on the belts?

Inspect ALL the tensioners and pulleys. ANYTHING even possibly suspect should be replaced. If one side's tensioner went, it's safe to guess the other one has the same kind of mileage and wear...

Do the "standard" replace all the seals drill: both camshafts, the crank mainseal, O-rings on the back of the oil pump, and the small seal at the front of the oil pump.

Consider very seriously replacing the water pump, too.

Yeah, this will cost you a few extra bucks. But in the long run you'll save time (and possibly money) while possibly avoiding some failures and almost certainly a leak or two...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I just replaced the water pump, this morning.I can't find good instrutions on the crank and oil pump seal replacement. Also not sure how to hold tension on the timing belt tensioner. My Chiltons manual doesn't go into any details on how to do eithe task. I have nerver done timing belt/front crank/oil pump seal.

Reply to
issjoe

The manual version I worked on had some holes that you could insert a drill bit into. Have you tried rotating the engine while viewing throught the window?

Reply to
Kim W