Locks on 2004 Legacy Outback

My wife had just parked her car in a mall parking lot. As she was beginning to walk to the stores, another, newer Subaru pull up. Apparently when the driver of that Subaru, pushed the lock switch button on the key fob, my Wife's Car's lights flashed as her driver's door unlocked. But just the driver's door. She had to use her metal key to lock the car.

At this time, the only way to lock the driver's door on her car is to use the metal door key. All of the other locks on the car can be opened and closed using my Wife's key fob switch. We tried both set of key fobs, so it is not the battery in the key fob.

I'm beginning to think the signal from the other car somehow confused our car's electronic locks and maybe needs to be reset if possible. Does seem a bit far fetched.

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks John

Reply to
John A Reichert

That's wacky.

Without a wiring diagram or a block diagram, I'm only offering some commentary based on past experience:

Generally all door lock actuators (little linear motors that move the lock arms) get triggered simultaneously by the fob receiver of the keyless entry system. I'd be somewhat surprised if the OEM keyless entry system had separate channels for each door lock actuator. That's what would be required in order for the system to order just one door to open. I'd be even more surprised if the wiring of the car itself supported independent actuator activation.

One thing I wonder -- do the interior door lock switches, when activated, lock the driver's door?

If not, it would be less an issue of keyless entry system being confused, and more likely a wiring fault or actuator burnout problem on the driver's door.

I'd probably take it to the dealer during a slow period to see if anyone had a bead on this rather interesting puzzler.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

If the power door lock switches inside the car function correctly, then I would try reteaching the remotes.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Thanks for the comments.

The inside power door switch locks and unlocks all doors Except the driver's door. It does seems like a problem with the electronic mechanism for the driver's door.

John

Reply to
John

Okay--that narrows it down. If other switches and stuff in the drivers door are okay, then one could take a calculated guess that the wiring connections at the door are probably okay. I might start with taking the door panel apart and testing the door lock acuator motor itself.

If you know someone who's an auto alarm or auto sound enthusiast, they'll know how to debug this. Otherwise, any mechanic who's taken apart a Subaru door before should be able to get to it in short order, test it by appling voltage to it, and replacing it if it's defective. Or if it tests fine, track down what the wiring issue that's causing it to not actuate when installed in the door.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

This all sounds real fishy to me, since it seems to have been caused by the other car. I think I'd try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so to reset the computers and reconnect to see if it helps.

Reply to
Bob Noble

I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes. After reconnecting there is still a problem. I can hear the electronic actuator in the driver's door move when the Fob is used but it doesn't lock or unlock the door. Apparently there is something broken inside the door. I'm beginning to think we had this problem for some time and just didn't know. My wife experience in the parking lot was likely just a coincident. Maybe a go practice to try to open doors if you leave something of value inside.

Thanks again for the comments. John

Reply to
John